Last Updated on August 23, 2020
Sure, adult pool parties aren’t the same wet and wild events you used to go to when you were younger, but they can still be a lot of fun too.
You can have a gathering with your friends, share delicious meals, have a few drinks, and just enjoy the hot summer sun.
However, if you stick with the same, old, and safe things for your party, it can get pretty boring fast.
So what do you do?
You can inject some fun activities whenever it becomes too quiet for your taste. And there’s no activity more exciting and fun than games.
If you are planning to throw a party this summer, take it up a notch with our list of the best pool games for adults.
Your party will surely be the next talk of the town with these 10 summer fun ideas.
Top 10 Pool Games for Adults
1. Pool Volleyball
Pool volleyball is such a flexible sport that you can play anywhere and with anyone.
It’s a great game that can get everybody moving on their feet, making it the perfect game when the party’s about to turn dull. You just need a ball, maybe a net, and 2 teams.
- The dimensions are 94" x 25" x 36"
- Comes with an inflatable volleyball and the pole bases are grommeted to add anchor weights of desired
- Includes a repair kit
- Also has a shelf box
The players don’t even have to be athletic as it doesn’t require skills to play.
2. Water Basketball
Water basketball is the same sport only played in the swimming pool.
You simply need a team of 5 players and shoot the ball in the basket to make a point.
- MAKE A SPLASH: Beat the buzzer and the heat this summer with the Go Sports Splash Hoop 360 - Includes 1 Splash Hoop, 2 Water Basketballs, and Ball Pump for the ultimate swimming pool party game
- MODERN DESIGN: Ditch the cheap looking hoops of the past and upgrade with Splash Hoop 360's new modern design
- BUILT FOR POOL PLAY: Our Splash Hoop 360 is engineered to withstand all the splashing that comes with water basketball – the sturdy frame ensures maximum fun in the pool
- INSTANT ASSEMBLY: The hoop assembles in seconds while other hoops take much longer and may require tools
If you’re looking for a good one, this Splash Hoop Floating Pool Basketball Game by GoSports. It includes a hoop, 2 water basketballs, and even an air pump for the balls.
We’ve also reviewed the best basketball hoops this year that you can get for your next pool party.
3. Floating Beer Pong
Contrary to popular belief, beer pong is not just for college students and fraternity boys. It’s a great game to play with friends.
The rules of floating beer pong are simple.
You just need two teams and each person from the team will take turns throwing a ping pong ball, aiming to sink it into the other team’s cups. Every time the other team shoots the ball into your cup, that cup will be eliminated and you need to drink.
The first team to shoot a ping pong ball into the other team’s 10 cups, win.
- UPGRADE YOUR POOL PARTY: 6 foot floating beer pong table with sideline cup holders, 6 pong balls, and 4 tethering grommets
- HOURS OF FUN: Full 10 cup beer pong setup on each side so you can enjoy this classic drinking game and set the life of the party
- 3 FEATURES IN 1: The versatile GoPong inflatable can be used for games of pool pong, social floating and as a floating lounge
- RAPID INFLATION: Don't let your party miss a beat, this float inflates quickly by pump (not included) or mouth
On top of all this, you can now play this fun game while lounging in the pool. If you are looking for a nice one, check out this inflatable beer pong table from GoPong. It’s 6 feet long, includes 6 ping pong balls, and has 4 cup holders on the sides.
4. Pool Joust Set
Have the greatest time hitting and pushing off each other with a pool joust set. The goal is simple and you just have to make the other person fall off the raft and into the water.
With this game, your guests will surely love competing with each other.
- ERFECT FOR ADULTS AND KIDS: Two Sets of 4 PCS.Inflatable logs size: 55" X 14" ; Inflatable cane size: 45" X 8" Suitable for adults and children.Each can bear 100kg
- EASY TO STORE: Gift Box Packaging and Not damaged,Easy to carry.Inflatable logs is foldable and compact,you can inflate and deflate quickly and easily,Just roll it up for easy storage or tote around...
- KEEP YOUR BODY COOL: You can float on water, luxuriate in sunshine, feel the cool world, enjoy and relax in this wonderful moment and come to "Battle" with friends
- ENJOY YOUR TIME ON THE WATER: Perfect for the ocean, lake, river, or pool. Recommended for adults, children under the guardianship of adults use.Best birthday present, summer gift for Pool party
Here’s a pretty nice inflatable battle log set on Amazon. It’s perfect for adults and you can use it in the pool, river, lake, or ocean. The best part? Your kids can have a go at it too.
5. Pick Up Glow Sticks
If you’re throwing your party at dusk or night time, picking up glow sticks at the bottom of the pool is a fun game to play.
You just have to snap the glow sticks and throw them in the pool. Everyone can then start picking them up and whoever has the least number of sticks losses.
While this may seem pretty easy and simple, trust us, it can get pretty rough as well. Once in the water, you’ll start grabbing and stopping each other from getting the sticks.
Don’t have glow sticks yet?
- MULTICOLOR GLOW STICKS PARTY PACK: Enjoy 100 pieces of super bright light sticks plus 100 pieces of dependable connectors that stay put for hours
- LONGER LASTING GLOW PARTY SUPPLIES: Party all night long! These 8-inch long glow in the dark sticks glow bright for 10-14 hours
- WATERPROOF GLOW STICK PARTY ACCESSORIES: Use these glow in the dark party favors even in the pool; these waterproof glow sticks party supplies are non leaking and nontoxic
- SAFE AND QUALITY ASSURED: Kid-safe glow in the dark party sticks are CPSIA-compliant; We’ll provide a full refund if you’re not glowing bright with your glow sticks bulk party supplies
You can check out this glow sticks bulk party favors on Amazon. It already has 100 pieces of sticks with connectors.
6. Relay Race Flip Cup
The relay race flip cup is similar to every relay race where each member of a team waits until the person before him or her is finished. You just need your pool, cups, and a table to flip cups. The further the table is from the pool, the better.
To begin, each player from a team jumps into the pool and swim until he reaches the other side. Once there, they need to climb out, run to the table, maybe drink their beer, and finally flip their cup. After, the player gives a signal to the next player of their team. The first team to get every member across the pool and flip the cups win.
Just remember to set safety precautions, especially when running towards the table.
7. Pool Tug of War
Tug of war is a classic game that you can also play in the pool. This is a great game when you have a lot of guests and when you want everyone to join in.
- HAVE FUN: Get the most out of your workout while ultimately having fun with the Get Out! 25 ft Tug-of-War Rope; 1.5-inch (3.8cm) thickness recommended by international tug of war federation and can...
- DESIGNED FOR SAFETY: Various combinations of colors (each rope is handmade and colors are unique!) and materials that make up this rope are not just for looks and actually prevent individual strands...
- VARIOUS EXERCISES: Tug of war helps develop gross motor skills; Other great workout routines with this fitness exercise rope include undulation, pulling, MMA, Crossfit training, general fitness; Use...
- BUILT TO LAST: 1.5-inch (3.8cm) thick diameter rope is burned on both ends and includes 5.75-inch (14.6cm) long waterproof heat shrink FB soft end cap sleeves that protect against friction and frays;...
To play, you just need 2 teams and a rope. Each team simply pulls the rope hard enough to let the opposing team cross the centerline.
8. Inflatable Bull Rodeo
Here’s a game that will give you hours of fun with your guests. With an inflatable bull rodeo, you can take turns riding it and see who or what team can stay mounted the longest.
- Be brave and enjoy a fun bull-riding experience on water with Intex Inflatable! Host competitions with family and friends and see how long you can stay mounted on the bull
- Designed with innovative photo-realistic printing technology. Great accessory for pools, lakes, or rivers
- Provides families and friends with hours of challenging wet fun
- Featuring: durable 17.5 gauge vinyl, 3 air chambers, durable grab handles
You can check out this Inflat-A-Bull from Intex on Amazon. Aside from providing your family and friends a great time, it’s also a great accessory for your pool.
Beersbee is a fun drinking game you can play in or around the pool. In this game, you need 2 teams, poles, a disk or frisbee, and 2 objects. The poles should be at least 27 feet apart with the objects resting on top of them.
- Ideal for endless backyard fun for the whole family, tailgating, camping trips, the beach, and more
- Enhances eye-hand coordination, all players active with every throw of the disc, great team game
- Game set up takes less than one minute and can be played on 20, 30, or 40 foot long areas depending on skill level
- Includes: (2) Non-breakable life like bottles, (2) Telescoping metal poles for use on sand or turf with built in scoring system
You can check out this beersbee outdoor set by Bottle Bash for the complete set of the game. It includes 2 bottles, 2 telescopic metal poles, and a disc.
Each team then takes turns in throwing the disk or the frisbee, aiming to hit either the pole or the object to knock it down. The other team then tries to catch the frisbee and the object to prevent the other team from scoring points.
For the full list of rules, here’s how to play the Polish Horseshoes – the game where Beersbee is derived from.
An adult swimming pool games list is never complete without the Chicken game. It’s simple, easy to understand, and requires nothing else but your bodies.
To start, you need at least 4 people to play. You then need to pair up and have the first person sit on the other’s shoulders. Then, you battle it out.
The people sitting on top need to push each other and into the water. On the other hand, the people beneath them are responsible for helping their partners stay on their shoulders. The team that is the last to get toppled over and not fall over the water wins.
Pool Games For Adults – Final Thoughts
A swimming pool, your friends, food, and some drinks are the perfect mix for an unforgettable day in summer.
But while it’s certainly fun to hang out, drink, and play games in the pool, you have to remember that accidents can happen anytime.
When in the pool, adults can be injured just as easily as children. So, make sure to still follow safety guidelines even in an adult pool party.
Also, don’t forget to have fun with your friends.
More Fun Pool Games For Adults That You Can Do With These Items
Photo by Kirt Edblom