Last Updated on January 10, 2021
Winter is coming.
That does not only apply in Game of Thrones but in real life too, and for pool owners who live in regions with heavy snowfall, the ending of summer is an indication that the time to store your Intex pool for good is fast approaching.
But what about those who are living in places with milder winter? Or those pool owners who don’t want to store their pool because they don’t want to set it all up over again.
If you want to winterize your Intex pool instead of storing it, then you can use various pool chemicals for closing an Intex pool.
But what chemicals are needed for closing an Intex pool properly?
Essential Pool Chemicals For Closing An Intex Pool
It really is not that difficult to winterize Intex pools. You just need to plan ahead of time and have all the necessary pool chemicals with you to start, so you can winterize your pool fast.
Chlorine-Free Pool Shock
One of the most important things to remember when you are closing an Intex pool for the winter is to use only non-chlorine shock. The regular chlorine shock can breakdown the other pool chemicals on this list, so it’s advisable to buy a non-chlorine pool shock instead.
Pool shock breaks apart chloramines in your swimming pool and quickly raises your chlorine level to kill algae, bacteria, and other harmful pathogens before you close down your pool for an extended period.
We highly recommend using BioGuard Oxysheen as your go-to Intex pool non-chlorine shock. It dissolves fast and effectively removes any contaminants in your pool water.
- NOTE: We are currently unable to ship Winter Algaecide to AZ, CA, DC, FL, MT, or RI due to State Restrictions
- Provides dependable control of algae growth throughout the winter season
- Specifically formulated to fight algae for up to 5 months in a covered pool
- Dosage: 1 quart per 20,000 gallons
Before you add your pool algaecide, test the water first to ensure that your chlorine level is below 4 parts per million (ppm).
Using In The Swim Winter Algaecide is an effective way to stop the growth of all types of algae during the winter season. It’s designed to be active for up to 5 months in covered Intex pools. And you can count that it can keep your above ground pool algae-free through the cold winter months.
Scale, Metal, and Stain Control
- Prevents metal stains and scale formation
- Removes fresh metal stains including Iron and copper
- Perfect for treating hard water
This pool chemical prevents metals like copper and iron from oxidizing and staining your pool surfaces. They also stop salts and calcium minerals from mixing with pool contaminants to form a dirty scale.
Clorox Pool and Spa Scale, Metal, and Stain Control is a powerful sequestering agent to prevent metal stains and mineral scale from forming in your Intex pool during cold winter temperatures.
- CLEAR AND CLEAN WATER- Hazy, murky, or cloudy pool or spa water due to low pH can create a hassle. To raise your pool water to the proper pH range of 7.2-7.6 to see a clear, comfortable, safe pool for...
- RAISES LEVELS - Rx Clear Swimming Pool pH Plus corrects problems associated with low water pH, it can be used in pools, spas, and hot tubs and is compatible with salt water pools. Test your pool water...
- PREVENTS CORROSION - These chemicals protect against corrosion of metal surfaces such as light fixtures, railings, ladders, screws, pool cover components, pool heater components, and metals in your...
- QUICK DISSOLVING - Rx Clear pH Plus is made of 100% sodium carbonate also called Soda Ash. This pH plus neutralizes acidic water, eliminates corrosion and improves the effectiveness of chlorine. Use...
Before you close your pool for the winter, you must check if you have proper pH levels to be your other winterizing chemicals to be effective. The proper pH range is anywhere between 7.2 and 7.6. It would be best to target getting a higher pH level so you don’t have to add more pH increasing pool chemicals during the winter season.
We recommend using the Rx Clear Swimming Pool pH Plus to quickly correct acidic water conditions in your pool and slow down the rapid dissipation of chlorine caused by acidic pool water.
Calcium Hardness Increaser
- Increases Water Hardness
- Low calcium hardness level can cause corrosive water
- Prevents the staining or etching of your pool's surface
- Ideal Calcium Hardness range 200 - 400ppm
The recommended range for your pool’s calcium level is 200 to 400 ppm. You can add a calcium increaser to raise the water hardness levels before closing an Intex pool.
We suggest using the Robelle Calcium Plus to increase your calcium hardness level and prevent your pool equipment from breaking down and metallic stains from showing in your pool due to soft water.
Total Alkalinity Increaser
- BENEFITS: Ensures that your swimming pool has a balanced Alkalinity so you can enjoy splashing in the water all season long in healthy water
- USE: Apply to skimmer or directly to pool for easy DIY pool care; For best results, use with other HTH pool care products
- COMPATIBILITY: Great for all types of pools, including vinyl-lined pools and saltwater systems
- FEATURES: Raises total alkalinity; Improves swimmer comfort; Stabilizes pH levels; Pre-measured; Water-soluble
You can add an alkalinity increaser to raise the total alkalinity levels in your Intex pool if it does not reach the optimum levels of 60 to 120 ppm.
The HTH Alkalinity Up pods are designed to make it easy for you to increase your pool’s total alkalinity level. You can add it directly to your skimmer or spread it throughout your above ground pool.
To summarize you need to balance your pool water first before you can close down your Intex pool to avoid unnecessary maintenance or expenses when the winter season begins.
|Pool Water||Ideal Level|
|pH||7.4 to 7.6|
|Chlorine||1 to 3 ppm|
|Calcium Hardness||175 to 225 ppm|
|Alkalinity||100 to 150 ppm|
We highly suggest that you aim to get on the high side of those ranges before you close your Intex pool.
Accessories Needed To Winterize An Intex Pool
Intex pool chemicals won’t be enough to properly winterize your pool, you should also have these pool accessories with you.
Pool Water Testing Kit
No products found.
A reliable pool testing kit is a must-have before closing an Intex pool for the winter season. You must have a well-balanced pool water before you put on your pool cover for good, and you can only achieve that by properly testing your water and adding the right amount of winterizing pool chemicals.
Winter Pool Cover
- Winter pool cover to be used with traditional above ground swimming pools
- Solid material will not let water pass through
- Pool Size: 24 Foot Round - Cover Size: 28 Feet (includes overlap in total)
- Heavy-duty 8 x 8 scrim
Pool covers are important to keep the snow away from your pool. You can use the pool cover that came with your Intex pool or get a more durable one like the pool cover from Robelle.
Winterizing Air Pillow
- Includes 3 pillows
- 4 x 4 feet big
- For above-ground pools
- Pushes your pool cover up off the water's surface so the water won't freeze to your pool cover
You need to use a winterizing air pillow to compensate for the pressure of the snow and ice on top of your pool cover. It helps protect the sides of your Intex pool cover and your pool walls from damage and is a must-have before closing an Intex pool.
You can utilize an air pillow to keep water and debris off to the side of your Intex pool. This makes it easier for you to reopen your Intex pool when the new pool season arrives.
Final Thoughts About Closing An Intex Pool For Winter
Pool chemicals are an important part of the process when you are winterizing your Intex pool. Doing this process properly will ensure that it will be easier for you to get things going again in the spring and prevent unnecessary maintenance or repairs that might occur if you don’t use the right pool chemicals.
Photo by Jaylynn Duncan