Last Updated on
Let’s face it, summer is a time for fun and splashing in the pool, but it can be quite expensive to install a pool at your home. One super alternative is an inflatable kiddie pool to keep the kiddos active and busy all summer long.
However, many parents get frustrated when purchasing the traditional cheap kiddie pool, filling it with water, then watching it sit unused all summer because it is dirty, leaky, and forgotten about.
We came up with some great kiddie pool ideas so that you have a great experience this summer. You can put a kiddie pool in your yard, on your deck, or even in your driveway.
Here is everything you need for a fun and safe kiddie pool experience this summer. All for under $100!
Intex Swim Center Family Inflatable Pool (~$30)
This Intex inflatable kiddie pool isn’t your parent’s kiddie pool. At 10ft long by and 6ft wide, this pool can provide hours of fun and entertainment for 1-3 kiddos. If you have read our reviews, you know that we think that Intex makes the best inflatable kiddie pool.
We like this pool because it is made of 15 gauge vinyl which will hold up for multiple summers if cared for correctly.
The drain plug makes water changes easy. The comfortable and wide sidewalls make lounging fun for kids and even the adults (but we won’t tell!)
The pool holds approximately 300 gallons of water and makes a terrific play area for your children.
- 120" x 72" x 22" large family pool
- 3 air chambers each with double intake and free flow exhaust valve
- 264 gallon capacity
- 15 gauge vinyl. This product does NOT come with a pump.
- Extra wide side walls for comfort
- Drain Plug Included
- Check the area under and around the pool for any sharp objects and/or debris that may cause a puncture
Intex Rectangular Pool Cover (~$15)
One of the most frustrating aspects of having a kiddie pool is the amount of debris that collects. Dirt, leaves, bugs, etc… Intex makes this great cover that completely takes care of this problem! This cover is custom-fitted to the pool, so putting it on and taking it off is quite easy.
With this cover, you can keep your kiddie pool clean all summer long and save much of the hassle with changing the water all of the time!
Having a cover is one of the secrets to keeping a kiddie pool clean
Clorox Small Pool Chlorinating Tablets (~$20)
When you have a full-sized in-ground or above-ground pool, you use lots of chemicals, cleaners, and vacuums to keep it sparkling clean.
When you have a kiddie pool, there is no filtration or water circulation to help keep the water clean. Without any of this, kiddie pools are prone to dirty and cloudy water. Neither the kids nor the parents are too excited about playing in dirty and clouded water.
Clorox makes these kiddie pool chlorine tablets that are meant for small pools and spa tubs. We find that they are perfect to use in this kiddie pool to keep the water clean; killing bacteria and fighting algae.
Do NOT put these tablets directly in the water, instead see the chlorinator float below. Simply put one tablet in the float per week and let it dissolve. Your water bill will thank you since you will no longer need to continuously drain and re-fill the kiddie pool.
Floating Mini Tablet Chlorine Dispenser (~$5)
If you are using the Clorox tablets listed above, then use this dispenser rather than putting the tablets directly in the pool. Just pop 2 tablets in the dispenser and it will gradually dissolve over about one week and keep the water crystal clear.
This will really minimize the number of times you need to drain and re-fill this pool!
We recommend taking the dispenser out of the pool while the kids are playing.
Here is what the ultimate kiddie pool setup looks like with the chlorine dispenser
6ft Sunshade Umbrella
With the kids enjoying the kiddie pool this summer, we need to protect them from the sun!
Simply install this umbrella next to the pool to keep the kids cool and protected.
That’s it! Everything you really need to have the ultimate kiddie pool setup this summer for under $100!
Here are a few extras that you don’t NEED but may WANT
Electric Air Pump for Inflating Pool
Although the Intex pool can certainly be inflated manually (fun activity for the kids anyone?), having this air pump can make it easier and quicker. This is the same type of pump that is used to inflate an air mattress. If you already have a pump for an air mattress, then no need to buy this one.
- AC Electric Pump: This small pump is perfect for indoor use with 110V AC socket. The cord length is about 1.3M/4ft, and the air pressure is 0.68psi, you can inflate the Queen-size/King-size air mattress within few minutes, which saves much time than other old hand pumps
- Quick-fill: The hand-held air pump fits perfectly in the palm of your hand, and the max CFM is 21.8, which works fast inflation/deflation with your inflatables
- 3 Nozzles to Choose: This electric pump allows you to inflate/deflate with different items, no need to buy extra nozzles
- Wide Usages: This high-volume low pressure electric pump can be used with large inflatables, airbed, air mattress, pool, boat, raft, sofa, bathtub, water bed, swim rings
- What You Get: Every WEIFA product includes 45 days money back, 18 months warranty and 24/7 friendly customer service
EZ Up Shade Tent
If your kids are really enjoying the kiddie pool setup this summer and you are concerned about sun exposure, then all the sunscreen and basic umbreallas just might not do. You can step up your sun-protection game with this shade tent.
We recommend setting up the pool so that 1/2 in the tent. Set up the tent in the right direction so that it protects your little ones from the hot afternoon sun!
- UPF 50+ PROTECTION: You love the beach, but blazing sun and sunburns? Not so much. The Instant Shader is specially designed with a double silver coating that effectively blocks 97.5% of UVA and UVB rays. This surface reflects heat so even when the beach is scorching hot, you’ll remain cool inside—even in direct sunlight.
- FAMILY SIZE: Take shade and comfort wherever you go. With a super-spacious interior of 99" W x 53" D x 57" H and 53” front porch, even 4 adults can sit and lay down comfortably inside. Enjoy as long as you like, and when it’s time to go, the Instant Shader packs down to 41" x 8.5" x 8.5". Toss it over your shoulder and easily load it into the trunk of your car without discomfort.
- PATENT-PENDING OPENING MACHANISM: End the frustration of putting up and taking down large beach tents. The Instant Shader’s patent-pending opening mechanism allows to set up and disassemble with smooth movements. Create your family’s beach oasis in less time, with less strain. Winning!
- GREAT AIRFOW: Some outdoor tents can get stuffy and humid on hot days. Not the Instant Shader. Large mesh windows and double guyout points let you enjoy great ventilation and breezes, while staying shaded from the sun.
- VERSATILE & CONVENIENT: It’s inevitable: long days at the beach will have surprise pop-ups. The Instant Shader’s versatile design can handle them all. Zip up the front to change into dry clothes in privacy. Protect your tent from high winds with guylines. Store valuables in the overhead mesh pocket.
Handheld Leaf Skimmer Net
This small leaf and debris net is an easy way to clean the pool daily of any leaves, bugs, bees, or debris floating on top of the water. It has a 12″ handle and can easily reach to clean this pool.
- ENJOY A CLEAN POOL: Ideal daily use hand-held 2 foot long leaf skimmer that provides fast, easy and efficient cleanup of leaves, bugs, bees and debris in spas, hot tubs, ponds, small swimming pools or a inflatable kid, kiddie pools.
- STURDY LIGHTWEIGHT NET: Net frame dimensions 11" wide x 12" long with 6" deep durable ultra fine mesh netting basket. Includes a detachable 12" aluminum pole handle, making the total length 2 feet (24"). An excellent long lasting sturdy handhold net with a little bit of flex for easier maneuvering.
- SKIM THE FINEST DEBRIS: The large volume ultra fine mesh netting bag basket allows it to collect more debris at a time, and is also very effective at holding the leafs within the net bag while maneuvering the skimmer throughout the water.
- SAFE & EASY TO USE: The durable plastic frame is safe for use in all types of pools and it won't mar pool liners.
- ONE YEAR - 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Buy with confidence, as our premium quality pool leaf skimmer is built to last, and if you're not satisfied with it at anytime within one year of purchase, we'll provide a refund or replacement.
Water Tech Pool Blaster Aqua Broom
If you really want to go all-out in making sure the ultimate kiddie pool setup is as clean as can be, then the Pool Blaster broom will help tremendously.
The net above will do a great job in skimming the loose debris from on top of the water, but the Aqua Broom will help in getting those things that have collected at the bottom.
Battery powered, and using a fine filter, your kids who are squeamish about the bugs on the bottom of the pool will thank you for this one!
- DEEP CLEANING: The Aqua Broom offers a more intense particulate cleaning of Sand & Silt than most vacuums for the Hot Tubs, Pools or Spas.
- RUN TIME: The Aqua Broom is designed to run up to 3 hours and is powered by Five D-cell batteries.
- EASY OPERATION: Simply twist the switch ON to operate. No forced-air operation, pumping or water hook-up required. Lightweight and easy to use by hand or attach to any standard telescopic pool pole. Weighs less than 2 lbs.(no pole included)
- TRAPS DIRT: The Pool Blaster Aqua Broom traps dirt better than other vacuums. Our patented Retention Valve design stops the return of debris into the spa.
- WHATS INCLUDED: (1) All-Purpose Filter Bag, (2) Disposable Micro-Filter Bags, (1) pole adapter
Scum-Ball Pool Water Clarifier
When the kids are outside in the kiddie pool, sunscreen is a must! (XXX is our top recommendation by the way).
However, when the kids enter the pool with sunscreen, the water soon looks like an oil spill zone! Over time, those oils can build up on the side of the pool and cause a nasty looking scum.
Don’t fret! Once the kids are done, just toss one of these Scum Ball cleaners in to float and soak up the oils. They can be left in for 30 days, then just remove and clean before using again!