Last Updated on October 20, 2021
So, you’ve got your kids a kiddie pool for the summer and now they could not get enough of it.
It can be fun for you, as parents, to see them enjoying their pool. And spending their time running around and playing in their pool during these hot summer days.
The part where the fun ends for you is having to clean the pool every time they’re done using it.
As you may already know, cleaning your kiddie pool can be a time-consuming and tedious process.
And a great way to lessen the time you have to clean your kiddie pool is by getting a kiddie pool cover, it’s also a great way to heat your pool if your kids prefer warm water.
- Why Do You Need To Cover Your Kiddie Pool?
- Best Kiddie Pool Covers You Can Use
- Kiddie Pool Covers – Final Thoughts
Why Do You Need To Cover Your Kiddie Pool?
Kiddie pools are usually easier to clean and maintain than most above ground pools due to their smaller size and this is one of the main reasons why it’s the most popular type of pool during the summer for families with small kids.
However, much like other pools, you cannot just leave water in your pool for days and expect your kids to use it right away. There are health concerns for stagnant water especially if you’re not putting pool chemicals to maintain the water quality.
As I’ve mentioned earlier, using a kiddie pool cover can lessen the time you have to clean your pool as it allows you to keep debris, leaves, and bugs out of your kiddie pool when it’s not in use. This keeps your pool water clean without much manual work on your part.
Kiddie pool covers also provide protection against the sun, so algae won’t flourish in your pool water due to prolonged sun exposure.
It also saves you money as you won’t have to drain your pool water every single time and refill it once your kids decide to use the pool.
If you’ll be using a solar cover to serve as your inflatable kiddie pool cover, then you can also warm up the water for your kids for a better pool experience. This also helps reduce your pool heating costs.
Best Kiddie Pool Covers You Can Use
Now, that we’ve established the importance of having a kiddie pool cover, let’s go ahead and look at some of the best kiddie pool covers you can use.
Ready-Made Pool Covers
If your kiddie pool did not come with a pool cover, then you can easily order a pool cover from your pool’s manufacturer online. This is the best option for you if you don’t want to spend much time looking for or making your pool cover.
Intex has kiddie pool covers available for their kiddie pool sets.
It may fit other pool brands too. You just have to make sure you have the accurate size of your kiddie pool. And look at the product page of your chosen pool cover if it can fit on your kiddie pool.
Tarpaulins are one of the most common kiddie pool covers used today as it’s very easy to use and set up.
Now, if you’re going to use a tarpaulin for your kiddie pool cover, then you should look for polypropylene mesh tarps.
These tarps give you better protection from sunlight than other tarpaulins. And helps prevent algae build-up in your kiddie pool.
Don’t forget to use some bricks or pavers to weigh the tarp down so that it does not blow away.
If you don’t have an old tarp sitting around, you can get one from Amazon for an affordable price.
Solar Pool Covers
Much like ready-made pool covers, solar pool covers are readily available and you can easily order one online.
- 🏊 [Heat up Your Pool Water] Evoio Solar pool covers use the power of the sunshine to heat up the water So you can swim by warming the water earlier or keep the water warm after swim. and keep enjoy...
- 🏊 [Keep Pool Water Clear & Water Save] Don't need to add water even passed a few day for last swim because we can reduce water evaporation by 95%.You can reuse the water because EVOIO POOL COVER...
- 🏊 [15 MIL Thickness] Most of the solar pool covers on the market are 8-12 MIL thick. Our solar pool covers are 15 MIL thick, so Evoio Solar Pool Covers can heat up the water faster, higher and more...
- 🏊 [Perfect for In-Ground or Above-Ground Round Pools] Great for both foot Easy Set and Metal Framed Round Swimming Pools! Heat Retaining Cover for In-Ground and Above-Ground Swimming Pools.
The best thing about solar pool covers is their durability since they are made to withstand the heat of the sun while being soaked in water. Using this type of cover will also help extend the lifespan of your kiddie pool so you can use it for many more pool seasons.
Since some kiddie pools are quite small compared to regular-sized pool sets, you might need to get the smallest solar pool cover available and just cut it yourself to fit your kiddie pool.
Solar pool covers are a great way to keep your outdoor pool water warm and clean so it’s always ready for use when your kids feel like enjoying some time in the water.
DIY Kiddie Pool Covers
If you’re a pool owner who wants a more unique kiddie pool cover, there’s an option for you to create one on your own. Covers for above ground pools are fairly easy to design if you know how to sew things together. Remember the more durable material you use, the more durable your DIY kiddie pool cover will be.
How To Design Your Own Kiddie Pool Cover
Gather the materials you’ll be needing
To make your own kiddie pool cover, you’re going to need the following materials and tools: about 12 feet of fabric or more depending on your kiddie pool size, 10 feet of elastic band (again, the size may vary depending on your pool size), a sewing kit, scissors, ruler, and marker.
Create a big rectangular sheet from your fabric
Cut your fabric in half, then combine the two to form a big rectangular shape by sewing them together.
Outline the shape of your pool cover
Whether your kiddie pool is rectangular in shape or round, you can easily shape your pool cover by putting your pool on top of the fabric and outlining the covered part with a marker.
Once you’re done outlining your pool shape on your fabric, you must add at least a 6-inch distance from your pool outline as an allowance.
Afterward, carefully cut your fabric.
Add your elastic band around your fabric
To add your elastic band, you have to create a place where you can insert it first.
To do this, you should fold at least an inch of fabric on the edge of your sheet and sew it. Try to leave a small opening of at least 3 inches where you can insert your elastic band.
You may attach a safety pin to each end of your elastic band to make it easier for you to put it all around your pool cover.
Once you’re done putting your elastic band in, sew your elastic ends together.
The main drawback of using a DIY pool cover is it may not have the same durability and features as a ready-made pool cover like sun protection or being water-resistant.
Using a canopy is another good alternative pool cover solution you may consider.
It’s not like the other covers we’ve already mentioned since this one doesn’t only cover your pool but also the whole area where your pool is.
If you want a cover that will protect both your pool and your kids whenever they use their kiddie pool, then getting a canopy will be the best option for you.
You can also use this canopy whenever you have gatherings in your backyard that would require a suitable cover against the sun.
Best Canopies To Cover Your Kiddie Pool
We’ve identified the best canopies you can use as a pool cover to protect your kids from the weather and to keep your pool clean from debris.
Core 10′ x 10′ Instant Shelter Pop-Up Canopy Tent
- Instant 2 minute setup; 100 sq ft of shade; 50+ UV protection
- CORE H2O Block technology with fully-taped seams for weather protection; Dual canopy vents for additional circulation; Meets CPAI-84 requirements
- Large oversized pinch-free buttons; Heavy-duty 150D polyester canopy and durable steel frame; Perfect for camping, festivals, tailgating, and backyard events
- Includes wheeled carry bag for easy travel; Ground stakes and tie downs included
The Core Canopy Tent is one of the best available canopy tents today that can provide you and your kids with 100 square feet of shade.
It can easily be set up in 2 minutes. And its fabric is designed to be water-resistant. It can also block out over 97% of UV rays, so your kids can enjoy your pool all day long.
You can easily adjust the height of this canopy tent to suit your preference.
Customers who bought this as a kiddie pool cover loved how easy it is to set the tent up, and also its durability against the weather.
Anuka Waterproof 10′ x 13′ Sun Shade Sail Canopy
- Perfect Shade Solutions - Ankuka sun shade sails provide 90% sunshade and protect against 95% up to 98% harmful UV rays to make your patio privacy safe, cool and fabulous. Perfect for patio, lawn,...
- Material - Made of UV protected high density polyester shade fabric with strong stitched seam and durable stainless steel D-rings in each corner. Allows cooling breezes and light to pass through for...
- Easy to Install - Find your supports and tight the shade sail to them with ropes by the D-ring, the ropes are included in the bags you received. Install at a 20-40 degree angle with maximum tension to...
- Waterproof - Fabric has been treated with waterproof coating, good for rain and sun blocking at the same time, need to tilt the shade sail in low-high position to prevent polling water during...
Another good option as a pool cover is the Anuka Sun Shade Sail Canopy. If you’re worried that your kids may play around with the poles of a canopy tent, then you can use this sun shade sail instead.
You just have to tie all four corners of your sun shade sail canopy and set up your kiddie pool underneath it.
Anuka sun shade sails are designed to protect your kids against harmful UV rays. The fabric has been treated with a waterproof coating to make it more durable against rainwater.
Anuka Sun Shade Sail Canopy users liked how elegant the design is and that no water stays on top of the shade even if it rains.
Kiddie Pool Covers – Final Thoughts
Choosing your kiddie pool cover is not that difficult once you’ve determined the feature you need and how much you’re willing to spend for one.
If you want an affordable and easy way to cover your pool, then you can buy ready-made pool covers from Amazon.
But if you’re looking for something long-term that can also provide your kids cover whenever they use their swimming pool, then we’d recommend getting a canopy tent.
It might be pricey, but it’s going to be worth it. You can even use it whenever you invite your friends over. You also have an option to use it away from your backyard, as most canopies are made to be portable. You can take it with you to the beach or the park.
Did Not Find The Kiddie Pool Cover You’re Looking For?
Photo by Christine Larsen