Last Updated on August 28, 2020
If you are like many families this year, you are hoping to add extra enjoyment and family time in your backyard! One of the most popular ways to add relaxation and fun to your backyard is by adding a swimming pool. Unfortunately, adding a pool can also be very expensive!
Intex pools have made pool ownership within reach for those without unlimited budgets!
If you are considering giving the gift of a backyard pool for your family this year, then read our Intex Pool reviews for our suggestions when considering an Intex pool. You and your family can be poolside with fun & games in no time!
Let’s start with the basics…
What are Intex Pools?
Intex is the industry leader in affordable above ground pools that can be installed and set up by a homeowner, without the need for specialized equipment or construction crews. They are a small fraction of the price of installing a permanent pool.
Intex makes several varieties of pools that have different construction materials and price points that you can choose from. They even make our favorite kiddie pool!
The types of Intex Pools are: Easy Set, Metal Frame, Prism Frame, Ultra XTR Frame
Intex Pools – At a Glance
Ultra XTR Frame
Laminated PVC Liner
Laminated PVC Liner and Steel Frame
3 Ply Liner and Powder Coated Steel Frame
3 Ply Liner and inner and OUter Coated Galvanized Steel
Round, Oval, Rectangular
6 ft-18 ft
10 ft-18 ft
10 ft-20 ft
18 ft-32 ft
90 Day Limited
90 Day Limited
90 Day Limited
2 Year Limited
Intex Pool Reviews – The Various Types
Intex Easy Set Pools
This pool is pretty straight forward. It has a ring at the top that inflates quickly and is ready to fill with water in about 10-15 minutes. As the water fills the pool it will take shape to provide a great swimming area for your backyard. The set includes a 110-120 V Krystal Clear cartridge filter pump, and the larger sized pools (15 ft and 18 ft diameter) include a pool ladder, ground cloth, and pool cover. It is also equipped with a ground fault interrupter in the event that the electrical current becomes exposed to water. This safety feature prevents the risk of electric shock. The Easy Set comes in sizes ranging from 6ft in diameter up to 18 ft in diameter.
- A 110-120 volt filter pump is included and is very easy to install - just hook up the hoses and enjoy clean refreshing water.
- Ready for water in 10 minutes - simply spread out on level ground, inflate the top ring, fill the pool with water and enjoy the fun
- Includes: Super-Tough laminated PVC sidewalls. 110 - 120 Volt Filter Pump with 530 gallon per hour flow rate. Set-up and maintenance DVD
- Convenient drain plug that connects to a garden hose so water can be drained away from pool or house area. Water capacity: (80%) 1,485 gallons
Intex Metal Frame Pools
Intex’s Metal Frame is a thick liner supported by strong, durable steel frames. The steel frames are powder coated to prevent rust for extra protection. A reinforcement band surrounds the entire pool to keep the steel frame stable and in place. Pool assembly takes approximately 45 minutes to be ready to fill with water. All sets include a 110-120 Krystal Clear cartridge filter pump. This pool also has a ground fault interrupter to prevent the risk of electric shock. If the current becomes exposed to water, the electricity is automatically shut off. The larger pool sizes (15 ft and 18 ft) also include a pool ladder, ground cover, and debris cover. This pool comes in 10 ft up to 18 ft diameter sizes.
- Super-Tough laminated PVC sidewalls; connect the Krystal clear cartridge filter pump to enjoy clean, refreshing water
- Equipped with the ground fault circuit interrupter that shuts off the pump if electrical current is exposed to water
- Includes: Krystal clear cartridge filter pump 530 gph (110 - 120v) with 1-year warranty
- Convenient drain plug that connects to a garden hose so water can be drained away from pool or house area; water capacity: (90%) 1,718 gallons
Intex Prism Frame Pools
One thing that sets the Prism Frame apart from Intex’s other pools is that it is the only option that comes in 3 sizes: round, oval, and rectangle. A similar construction to the Metal Frame, the Prism Frame is constructed of a stylish, durable 3 ply liner set on strong powder-coated steel tubing. For added stability, a reinforcement band also holds this pool and its frame securely in place. The frame is built on simplified t-joints with no pins required, and assembly of this pool actually doesn’t require any tools. It is fitted for a dual suction outlet for improved water circulation as an added feature. Pool assembly takes approximately 45 minutes to be ready for water. Each set includes a 110-120 V Krystal Clear cartridge filter pump. The larger pools (all pools 14 ft and above) include the pool ladder, ground cloth, and pool cover. This option comes in 10 ft up to 20 ft pools.
- Durable & easy to assemble, prism frame pools feature all of the great benefits of metal frame pools, and are enhanced with strong powder-coated Steel Tubing and a stylish, upscale looking liner color
- Hydro aeration technology has been incorporated into the cartridge filter pump providing improved circulation and filtration, improved water clarity, and increased negative ions at the water surface
- Constructed with puncture resistant 3-ply material; Instructional DVD is included for help with pool setup and maintenance
- Water capacity: 90%, 3,861 gallons; age Grade: 6+
Intex Ultra XTR Frame Pools
Intex’s Ultra XTR Frame pool is the top of the line. It is constructed of a strong, tough 3 ply liner that is puncture and tear-resistant supported by a frame. The frame on the Ultra XTR is made of galvanized steel that is powder-coated inside and out to help prevent rust. Each set also includes not only the pool, but a ladder, cover, and 110-120 V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump filtration system. Similarly to the Prism Frame, no tools are required for assembly as the frame snaps together with t-joints for increased stability. Assembly takes about 60 minutes to be ready for water. Overall, this is also the largest pool option as well, with pool sizes ranging from 18 ft up to 32 ft. Read our full Intex Ultra Frame Pools review here.
- Uniquely designed frame combines high quality galvanized Steel with Precision engineered locking system, enhancing the overall quality, durability and stability of the pools
- Rust resistance: encapsulating inner and outer powder coating ensures the ultimate resistance to rust
- 2-year manufacturer's Warranty
- Includes 110-120V sand filter pump with pump flow Rate of 2, 100 gallons per hour, pool ladder, ground cloth and pool cover.Recommended for ages 6 and up
Are Intex Swimming Pools any good?
Intex pools are designed to be very affordable, and for the price you pay, the materials are surprisingly good quality. Of course, they are not the same quality as a permanent pool would be, but they also cost a fraction of the price. Overall, for the price paid, Intex pools provide hours of fun and entertainment for your family.
How long do Intex Pools last?
How long your pool lasts will depend on a few factors. First, is the specific pool you purchase. It should be no surprise that the Ultra XTR Frame pools will outlast the inflatable Easy Set pools.
Many owners report even the inflatable pools can last 4-5 seasons with proper care and maintenance.
How much do Intex Pools cost?
The various types of Intex pools have different price points. The Easy Set pool (which is the most affordable) starts at under $50 for the smallest sizes and up to $300 for the larger sizes. Even the affordable Easy Set pools come with a pump and filter, everything you need to get started.
On the upper end of the Intex range, the Ultra XTR Frame pools start at around $500 for the smallest size and go up to about $1500 for the largest pool system.
Where can you install an Intex Pool?
One of the best features of all the Intex Pools is that there is no special digging or construction needed to have a pool. Intex pools simply need to be installed on a flat, level, and solid surface with no sharp objects below it.
Intex Pools can be installed on:
- Level areas of your lawn
- Concrete patios
Avoid installing Intex Pools:
- On any incline or un-level surface
- Under any trees
- Too far from electrical power and a hose
We’ve even seen some very unique setups with Intex pools!
What is the Best Intex Pool?
All the Intex Pool styles have their unique features and benefits. However, if you are simply looking for which Intex Pool is made from the best materials, then that is hands down the Ultra XTR Frame Pools.
Do Intex Pools need chemicals?
Yes. In order to keep your pool water clean and safe, you will need to use the proper chemicals in your water. Intex Pools are no different than any other pool in this regard.
Can you heat an Intex Pool?
Yes. If you live in a climate where you need to heat the pool for maximum use, this is possible. Keep in mind though, that the pool heater will likely cost almost as much as the pool itself!
A more affordable option is simply adding a solar cover to your Intex Pool. These covers lay on top of the water when the pool is not in use and helps to transfer the Sun’s heat into the water.
Where is the best place to buy Intex Pools?
Some of the smaller Intex pools can be purchased at your local retail stores like Wal-Mart. However, we recommend purchasing online since the boxes that these pools are delivered in can be large and cumbersome. It is much easier to have the delivery person handle your new pool rather than try to maneuver it into your car or truck at the store.
Amazon.com carries many Intex Pools at a great price. We have not found a better place to buy than there.
What are some great Intex Pool accessories?
There are a lot of accessories you can get for your Intex pool setup. Here are a few of our favorites.
Once you understand your needs and the differences between each pool, you will feel confident making an informed decision on your backyard pool. Intex is known for making quality products and they offer plenty of support on their website. They provide information on winterizing all of their pools, maintenance, and delivery in their FAQ.
No matter what choices you make for your backyard pool, you are sure to enjoy a summer of fun!