Last Updated on
Are you dissatisfied with the pool pump that came along with your Intex pool set?
If you are, then maybe it’s a good time for you to consider upgrading it.
Or maybe you’ve encountered a problem with your Intex pool pump. And instead of spending money on repair, you’ve decided to do get an Intex pool pump upgrade.
Either way, we’re here to help you make the right decision when it comes to doing an Intex pool pump upgrade.
How To Choose The Right Intex Pool Pump
Your pool pump is a vital machine in keeping your pool water swimmable for you and your family. It keeps your pool water from being stagnant which often leads to a dirty pool.
If you’re having a hard time choosing your Intex pool pump upgrade, then you might consider answering these questions first:
- What’s the size of your swimming pool?
- What type of pool pump are you looking for?
- How much are you willing to spend for your pool pump upgrade?
Once you’re able to come up with answers to those questions, it’ll be easier for you to make a decision on what pool pump you should purchase.
Types of Pool Pumps
The pioneer of all pool pumps is the single-speed pump. It has an impeller that only runs in one speed based on the horsepower of the motor.
Since it’s only running at one certain speed, you won’t be able to make any adjustments to cut your energy costs.
If you currently have a single-speed pool pump, then you might consider upgrading to dual-speed or variable-speed pump.
For dual-speed pumps, it has both high and low-speed options.
The high speed can be as powerful as a single-speed pump yet it has the option to use less energy with its low-speed settings. However, this setting may not be as efficient in circulating your pool water.
Variable-speed pumps are considered the best pool pump for any type of swimming pool. If you’re looking to invest in a good pool pump, then you should consider getting a variable-speed pump.
This type of pool pump consumes less energy yet is more-efficient than dual-speed or single-speed pumps.
Pool Pump Sizing Guide
It is best if your pool pump can cycle all your pool’s full volume at least once per day. This is called the turnover rate.
To get the right-sized pool pump for your swimming pool, you must first determine your pool’s volume.
You can use this pool volume calculator from Swim University.
After calculating your pool’s volume, you must divide it by 8.
The result will be the minimum number of gallons per hour (GPH) that you should look for your pool pump upgrade.
We recommend going over the minimum GPH, so you won’t have to do another upgrade anytime soon.
Getting a pool pump higher than what’s recommended doesn’t have much negative effect on your pool. It is much better for it since your pool pump will bring better circulation and improve your filtration system.
If you cannot easily get the volume of your pool, you may also refer to the pool pump’s product information. Manufacturers often indicate the minimum and maximum pool volume that their pumps can support there.
Benefits Of Upgrading Your Pool Pump
Having the right pool pump for your above ground pools can give you the following benefits:
- Better circulation of your pool water
- Improved filtration system for a cleaner and clearer swimming pool
- Less time required to maintain your pool
When upgrading your pool pump, you should look at it as an investment since you’ll want to use this pool pump for a long time.
The 5 Best Intex Pool Pumps Today
Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
- Pump flow Rate: 3000 GPH. System flow Rate: 2, 450 GPH
- 6 function control - enables pool owner to filter, backwash, rinse, recirculate, drain & close system
- 24 hour automatic timer
- The strainer basket provides easy-cleaning, and prolongs the life of the sand.
- Hydro aeration technology is incorporated into the filter pump for improved circulation and filtration, improved water clarity and increased negative ions at the water surface
The Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump is our first recommendation for those looking to upgrade their pump on their Intex pool.
It comes in four different tank sizes that cater to different pool sizes.
|Tank Size||Pump Flow Rate||System Flow Rate||Max. Pool Size|
|10 inches||1,200 GPH||1,050 GPH||8,400 gallons|
|12 inches||2,100 GPH||2,150 GPH||12,800 gallons|
|14 inches||2,800 GPH||2,150 GPH||17,200 gallons|
|16 inches||3,000 GPH||2,450 GPH||19,600 gallons|
The sand filter pump is equipped with Hydro Aeration Technology, that’s unique to Intex pool pumps. Its benefits include improved circulation and filtration, better water clarity, and increased negative ions at the surface of your pool water.
You can choose between six different functions when you operate this pool pump.
All variants come with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Above-Ground Pool Pump
- The Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Above-Ground Single-Speed 1.5 HP Pool Pump features an industrial-size strainer basket for large debris collection and minimal maintenance
- Extra-large strainer basket ensures large debris collection and minimal maintenance
- Heavy-duty, high-performance motor with an integrated automatic thermal overload protector provides years of reliable operation
- Horizontal/vertical discharge feature easily converts from vertical to horizontal discharge orientation with the press of a button
- Quick disconnect intake and discharge pipe connection allows for simple installation and maintenance
The Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Above-Ground Pool Pump is another great pump to consider when you want to do an Intex pool pump upgrade.
It has an industrial-size strainer basket for large debris collection and to lessen the amount of time you have to maintain your pool.
The Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Above-Ground Pool Pump is designed for heavy-duty use and is perfect for large-sized pools.
Game SandPro 75D Series Pool Pump
- POWERFUL ABOVE-GROUND POOL FILTRATION: The GAME SandPRO 75D Series is a quality replacement filtration system for any above-ground pool. (It works best with Intex and Bestway pools.)
- SIMPLE-TO-READ PRESSURE GAUGE: Our sand filter system has been designed with an easy-to-read pressure gauge and large-capacity easy-to-clean hair and debris strainer basket with see-through lid.
- ULTRA-QUIET POOL FILTRATION: The ultra-quiet SandPro pool filter system features a motor with a high flow rate and 3/4 horsepower (HP) pump, creating maximum energy efficiency and operating with maximum vacuum power.
- EASY TO OPERATE: Our cleaner for above-ground pools has been engineered for optimal cleaning efficiency and with an easy-to-operate 4-position rotary valve that will filter, backwash, rinse, and winterize.
- DESIGNED FOR UP TO 15,000-GALLON ABOVE-GROUND POOLS: The 0.75 HP Replacement Pool Sand Filter Unit is designed for above-ground pools holding up to 15,000 gallons and requires 75 pounds of medium-grade pool-filtering sand (not included).
The Game SandPro 75D Series Sand Filter System is a good pool pump upgrade for both Intex and Bestway pool owners.
This pool pump is equipped with a large-capacity hair and debris strainer basket with see-through lid. And has an efficient and quiet motor to circulate your pool water.
It comes with four different modes to choose from: filter, backwash, rinse, and winterize.
It’s designed to serve pools with up to 15,000 gallons in volume and has a flow rate of 3,120 gallons per hour.
Doheny’s Above Ground Pool Pro Swimming Pool Pump
- **THIS ITEM IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA! **
- If you’re looking for value, Doheny’s Pool Pro pumps offer dependable performance, outstanding results and cost less than big name brands!
- Stainless steel 1.5 HP motor shaft is constructed with a reinforced thermoplastic body for longer life and durability
- Advanced engineering provides high efficiency and minimal noise and meets or exceeds all CSA & ETL requirements
- 1.5 inch internal threading and 2.5 inch external threading and comes with standard three-prong plug connection on a 3 foot cord
Doheny’s Above Ground Pool Pro Swimming Pool Pump offers great performance at an affordable price.
It’s equipped with a large basket in its strainer housing for catching debris and leaves.
The stainless motor shaft with 1.5 horsepower is designed with thermoplastic material for added durability.
The inlet and outlet ports feature 1.5 in female threads and 2.5 in external threading making it easier to replace your old pool pump.
Unfortunately, this item is not available for sale for pool owners living in California.
Pentair Dynamo Above Ground Pool Pump
The Pentair Dynamo Above Ground Pool Pump is a heavy-duty pool pump designed for maximum durability, performance, and economy.
It’s very efficient and operates with minimal noise. It comes in two different types: single-speed and dual-speed.
Much like the other powerful pool pumps on this list, it also has a large-capacity basket for debris and leaves.
Intex Pool Pump Upgrade For Small-sized Pools
- Specially designed for above ground pools. For use with Intex Easy Set pool models 18’, Frame pool models 16’ or 18’, Oval Frame pool models 20’ X 12’.
- Easy installation – just attach hoses via 1.5" hose fittings and plug in (Partial assembly required).
- System flow rate: 1,180 gph (2,839 lph). Pump flow rate: 1,500 gph (3,785 lph)
- Double insulated pump. Auto timer with preset 2 to 12 hour cycles.
- Includes one easy to clean, replaceable filter cartridge. For best results, replace filter cartridge every 2 weeks. Replacement cartridge: Type A/C.
The Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump is perfect for small-sized above ground pools.
Similar to the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump, it also has Hydro Aeration Technology. And it comes in three different variants.
|Model||Pump Flow Rate||System Flow Rate||Max. Pool Size|
|673R||1,000 GPH||750 GPH||6,000 gallons|
|635T||1,500 GPH||1,180 GPH||9,400 gallons|
|633T||2,500 GPH||1,900 GPH||15,200 gallons|
Tips For Your Intex Pool Pump Upgrade
Most of the products we mentioned can be used right away with your Intex pool pump’s hoses. So you just have to remove your old pool pump and put the brand new one in its place.
- Your pool pump must be installed on a solid level and vibration-free base. It should be protected from the weather, rain, and freezing temperatures.
- You should find a good location for your pump where there is adequate access, space, and lighting for routine maintenance.
- Your pump motor requires a free circulation of air for cooling.
- Never put pool chemicals directly into the filter pump. This may damage the pump and void the warranty.
- Replace your filter cartridges when there’s already too much debris on it.
- For pumps with sand filters, you should get the No.20 silica sand for a better and more efficient filtration system.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pool Pump Upgrade
What is the best pool pump for my above ground pool?
The best pool pump for your above ground pool is the Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump that can cater to pool volumes of 2,800 gallons up to 19,600 gallons.
The pump flow rate ranges from 1,200 GPH to 3,000 GPH based on your pool pump’s tank size.
With the Hydro Aeration Technology, the pump provides improved circulation and filtration, better water clarity, and an increase in negative ions at the water surface.
When should I upgrade my pool pump?
A good indication of a great pool pump is a clean and clear pool water.
If there are small or large debris lurking on your pool despite you not using it that often, then your pool pump may not able to turn over your pool water well.
Another obvious reason you should do a pool pump upgrade is when you don’t want to do daily pool maintenance on your above ground pool.
With a great pool pump, you’ll have improved water circulation and filtration that will lessen the time you have to clean or maintain your pool.
How do you maintain your pool pump?
The first thing you should do is ensure there are no leaks on your pool pump. Everything should be tightened properly.
Avoid placing your pool pump near trees or plants for better air circulation.
Check your pool pump’s O-rings regularly to make sure they’re in good condition.
Did Not Find The Intex Pool Pump You’re Looking For?
Photo by iDann