Last Updated on August 22, 2020
Summer season is pool season.
And these days are the best time to do pool parties and cookouts with your family and friends. But there are times that an uninvited visitor may come in and crash your party, and we’re not talking about your annoying neighbor, we’re talking about those cute little buzzing bees.
First, we want to emphasize that this guide on how to keep bees away from the pool will not cause any serious harm to these hardworking creatures. After a long day of work, who does not want a refreshing body of water to hang out on, right?
Anyway, your pool is more of a bottle of water to them to rehydrate than anything else. Knowing this, what are the things you can do to keep bees away from your swimming pool?
Best Ways On How To Keep Bees Away From Pool
There are several ways you can do to keep these insects away from your pool for good without the need to exterminate or kill them.
Build another water source for them
Whenever bees come to your pool, all they want to do is to cool down and have a sip after a long day’s work. They do not come to your pool area to find you and sting you. Sure, there are some cases where a bee does exactly that but that’s rare and can be prevented by installing a fountain or birdbath in your yard.
- COMBO SET - Package include 1 garden bird bath and 1 solar powered water fountain pump
- DURABLE MATERIAL - The bird bath is made of weather resistant polyresin with a beautiful design and finish, tough and durable for many years use
- LIGHTWEIGH DESIGN - The bird bath is very lightweight, so you can move this bath to the perfect spot effortlessly. A gorgeous addition to any yard or garden
- SOLAR POWERED FOUNTAIN - Solar powered and environmentally friendly, taking energy directly from sun to propel water into the air
Give them an alternative water source and these bees should leave your pool alone.
Tip: If you have a bee problem the previous pool season, it might be best to install your new fountain or birdbath a month or two ahead before you set up your swimming pool. This way they already have an established source of water to go to and should not bother you when your pool is up and running.
Avoid flowery fragrances
You can prevent bees from invading your pool area by not wearing sweet and flower-smelling perfumes. The same rule applies to your hairspray, cologne, and sunscreen.
- SUN PROTECTION FOR THE LITTLE ONES - Little Joey by Australian Gold is specially formulated for kids; Its SPF 50 formula with Aloe Vera provides maximum hydration & nourishment, and BROAD SPECTRUM...
- GOODNESS OF NATIVE AUSTRALIAN INGREDIENTS - A rich blend of Kakadu Plum extract with highest content of Vitamin C, and Tea Tree Oil, a powerful antioxidant, fight off free radicals and leave skin...
- A TOP CHOICE FOR KIDS - This fragrance-free sunscreen is Pediatrician Tested & Hypoallergenic, making it perfect for sensitive skin & noses; All ingredients are selected with utmost care and pass top...
- EASY APPLICATION - Spritz this sunscreen liberally and rub onto the skin 15 minutes before sun exposure; Do not spray directly on the face; Spray on hands then apply to face; Use in well-ventilated...
We advise using an unscented sunscreen whenever you use your pool so you won’t attract unwanted attention from bees and other insects.
Avoid bright colors
If you have an ongoing bee problem in your swimming pool, then you should not wear any bright colored bathing suit or clothing. You should also refrain from using bright colored towels. Unlike humans, bees cannot distinguish right away if they’re touching a nice-smelling flower or your beautiful yellow shirt.
Add repelling scents
One of the best ways on how to keep bees away from the pool is by using scents that are unpleasant to them but not to us.
There are more than a handful of fragrances and essential oils that you can use to repel bees from your outdoor living space without the need to call an exterminator. These include spearmint, thyme, eucalyptus, peppermint, lemon, lime, olive oil, citronella oil, lavender oil, and even vegetable oil.
- OUR MOST POPULAR ESSENTIAL OIL SET: 7 & 7 includes seven of our top single oils and seven of our powerful synergy blends. Great for people new to essential oils or anyone looking to restock. They can...
- EASY, AFFORDABLE WAY TO FIND YOUR FAVORITE: Here's what's included: Lavender, Tea Tree, Sweet Orange, Peppermint, Lemon, Cinnamon and Eucalyptus single oils. Synergy Blends include: Germ Fighter,...
- BATCH SPECIFIC GC-MS REPORTS ON EVERY OIL: Every bottle of oil from Plant Therapy goes through multiple rounds of testing including organoleptic testing by Robert Tisserand, an essential oil expert,...
- HIGH-QUALITY AFFORDABLE ESSENTIAL OILS: At Plant Therapy our goal is to positively impact the lives of as many people as we possibly can, by selling such a high quality product at an affordable price....
If you have the option to get these plants around your pool area, then that could be a better solution to keep bees away from your swimming pool. You can add mint or lemongrass plants near your pool to repel them, then you can enjoy your pool without worrying about getting stung by a bee.
Move their nest/s
If dozens of bees come to flock your pool often, then this is a good indication that they have been living nearby. You can look for their nest’s location in your property and call your local beekeeper and ask them to move it away from your pool area.
Or you can call an exterminator and tell them you need help moving a bee’s nest. Be clear in saying this and that you do not want them spraying harmful chemicals in your yard where you and your family stay and enjoy your free time.
Add and use pool jets
Pool jets can be very effective in repelling bees out of your pool. And it also adds a little bit of fun to your pool area. Turning on your pool jets will make ripples on the surface of your pool water and may prevent them from landing.
Mothballs are known for their unpleasant odor and can be an effective way to keep bees away from your pool. You can put mothballs in a decorative cloth bag or pantyhose and hang it near your pool. This should stop bees and other insects from ruining your pool party.
- MOTH BALL PACKETS: These lavender scented flat moth ball packets are great for flat storage, like drawers, closet shelves, or blanket chests and trunks. Keep your delicate woolens safe from moths...
- KILLS CLOTHES MOTHS, EGGS & LARVAE: Enoz moth preventatives help prevent costly damage from insects. Our moth balls, cakes, & spray kill clothing moths, moth eggs & larvae, & are great for protecting...
- SAY GOODBYE TO INDOOR BUG PROBLEMS: Flies, bees, roaches, moths, and mosquitos all have one thing in common--they aren't welcome in your home. From flyswatters to moth balls, cedar spray to roach...
- WILLERT HOME PRODUCTS: Willert Home Products began in 1946 with a single moth repellant product. Still owned & operated by the Willert family, we make over 100 home cleaning supplies & pest control...
If you hated the smell of mothballs, try out these lavender-scented ones from Enoz.
Final Thoughts On Keeping Bees Away From Your Pool
Implementing those steps on how to keep bees away from the pool isn’t that difficult and should be effective in safeguarding your family from unwanted bee attention. The earlier you figure out the best way to keep bees away, the sooner you can get back to enjoying your swimming pool worry-free.
Photo by orangeaurochs