Last Updated on
Who says swimming in your pool is just a summer activity?
If you want to enjoy your Intex pool even after the summer season ends, then you should know how to heat an Intex pool to maintain a warm swimming environment even during cold seasons.
For those lucky enough to be living in warmer climates, you might think you won’t need an Intex pool heater. But it’s still a good idea to get a heater for your Intex pool to keep your pool warm when you want to enjoy your pool at night when the temperature usually dips.
If you’re having some difficulty selecting your Intex pool heater, you can check out our buying guide below.
- How To Choose The Right Intex Pool Heater
- 3 Great Ideas On How To Heat An Intex Pool
- 1. Use A Hayward Gas Pool Heater and A Solar Cover
- 2. Get A Hayward Heat Pump
- 3. Install A Solar Heating System For Above Ground Pools
- How To Heat An Intex Pool – Final Thoughts
How To Choose The Right Intex Pool Heater
If you’re having a hard time choosing your Intex pool heater, then you might consider answering these questions first:
- What’s the overall size of your Intex pool?
- What type of pool heater are you looking for?
- How much are you willing to spend for your Intex pool heater?
- How much use are you expecting to get out of it?
Once you’re able to come up with answers to those questions, it’ll be easier for you to make a decision on what pool heater you should purchase.
Types Of Intex Pool Heaters
Intex pool heaters are often measured in BTU or British Thermal Unit. If a higher BTU is indicated that means the quicker that machine can heat your swimming pool.
Gas Pool Heaters
Using gas heaters is one of the most common ways you can heat an Intex pool as it’s fairly easy to use. And can heat your index pool quickly.
Most gas heaters use either propane gas or natural gas to heat your swimming pool.
The BTU that you need will highly depend on your pool size. The larger it is the higher BTU your pool requires for your gas heater.
Like any typical machine that uses gas, these heaters emit air pollution and can be expensive to operate as it can cost you anywhere from $300 to $600 per month. Of course, you also have to pay for the upfront cost of acquiring a gas heater that’s anywhere between $1,000 to $1,500.
Heat pumps work by either using both electricity and your surrounding air or by electricity and a water source.
Heat pumps are a more efficient way to heat an Intex pool and will only cost $50 to $150 to operate monthly.
The main drawback of using heat pumps is that they’re more expensive to acquire than a gas heater. Their price usually ranges from $2,000 up to $4,000.
Solar Heating System
Using a solar heating system is another great way to heat your Intex pool. It can be expensive to set up but a solar heating system for your pool is much affordable to install than a solar heater for your house. And it won’t require you to spend on any monthly operating expenses.
It works by utilizing your installed solar panels to transfer heat from the sun to your pool by letting your pool water pass through them.
But what if it’s raining or during the night when there’s no sun to heat my solar panels?
For this one, you might have to rely on another pool heater to heat your pool.
A solar heating system does not heat the pool quickly like a gas heater would.
Solar Covers or Blankets
An inexpensive way to heat your pool is by utilizing solar covers or blanket. These are made of plastic material that’s designed to retain the heat from the sun or the heat produced by your pool heater.
For those living in warmer climates, using solar covers to heat your pool might be enough so you won’t have to buy an Intex pool heater anymore.
But if the solar covers are not enough to give you the right temperature you want for your Intex pool, then you may opt to purchase a more powerful pool heater and supplement it with a solar pool cover for better heat retention.
|Pool Heater Type||Pros||Cons||Lifespan|
|Gas Pool Heaters||Can heat the pool quickly and best for those living in cold regions||Highest operating costs among all pool heaters||~5 years|
|Heat Pumps||Inexpensive to operate and easy to set up||Heat pool water slowly and have a high purchase cost||10 to 20 years|
|Solar Heating System||No operating costs and great for those with a huge yard||Expensive to set up and may require professional help||~15 years|
|Solar Blankets||Affordable to acquire and best for those with warmer climates||Not that efficient in heating your pool||3 to 5 years|
3 Great Ideas On How To Heat An Intex Pool
1. Use A Hayward Gas Pool Heater and A Solar Cover
If you’re looking to add a pool heater that would not take much space in your backyard, and easy to set up and use, then we suggest getting a Hayward Pool Heater.
Hayward specializes in providing great swimming pool products and accessories like their robotic pool cleaner. And their gas pool heaters are no different.
They’re designed to heat your Intex pool efficiently.
We suggest getting the Hayward Universal H-Series Pool Heater as it comes in both natural gas or propane gas. So you have an option to choose which one you want to use in your pool.
Also, the minimum BTU for both models is 150,000 BTU which is more than enough to heat any mid-sized or large-sized Intex pool.
To help you heat efficiently heat your pool throughout the day, you can use a solar pool cover during day time and remove it whenever you want to use your pool during colder months or at night.
You can just run your pool heater during the times you’ll be using it to save money on operating costs. This wouldn’t require much waiting time as the gas pool heater is known to be quick when it comes to warming up your pool.
2. Get A Hayward Heat Pump
- The Hayward W3HP50CL Above-Ground Heat Pump offers consistent, reliable heating for an extended swim season
- Efficient rotary compressor and low-noise fan guarantee extremely quiet operation
- Hot defrost gas valve ensures reliable operation at low ambient temperatures
- Digital control panel displays temperature and allows for simple control of settings with intuitive keypad
- Durable titanium heat exchanger provides exceptional corrosion resistance
One way to save money on your pool heating’s operating costs is to install a proven cost-efficient pool heater.
We recommend the Hayward W3HP50CL Heat Pump for small to mid-sized Intex pool owners.
The Hayward W3HP50CL Heat Pump can add consistent, reliable heating to any above-ground pool and has low-noise, so it won’t bother you while you enjoy your time in your Intex pool.
It’s very easy to use too much like their gas pool heaters. You just have to find the right place to set it up and you should be enjoying a warm pool environment in no time.
3. Install A Solar Heating System For Above Ground Pools
Having a solar heating system installed to heat an Intex pool can be quite expensive to set up initially, but with no operating costs and tax incentives you can get for having one (depends on your state), it can be all worth it.
You can hire someone to do it for you or you can do it yourself to save money.
If you decide to go the route of setting it up, then you can check these solar panels by Smart Pool that’s designed to heat above ground pools efficiently.
- SOLAR POOL HEATER – The SunHeater Solar Pool Heating System allows you to capture free heat from the sun’s rays to effectively raise your pool water temperature. It’s an efficient and cost-effective method to heat your pool.
- EXTENDS POOL SEASON – Your pool’s pump pushes the water through the panel’s many tubes where it’s warmed by the sun and then returned into the pool. This system can raise the water temperature 6-10 degrees F and extend your pool season by weeks!
- EASY TO INSTALL – This pool solar heater uses your existing filtration system and has 4 end caps, 2 elbows for flex hose connection, 6 stainless steel hose clamps, 1 roll of Teflon tape, and rubber connector hoses.
- TUBE ON WEB DESIGN – The tube-web-tube design allows the SunHeater to capture the most sun possible, maximizing square footage. It offers rigid flexibility, allowing panels to expand and contract with changing temps, giving it the strength needed to last.
- DIMENSIONS – The SunHeater Solar Pool Heater includes two 2’ x 20’ panels, made of durable polypropylene. It’s a universal system that works for pools up to 31’ round or 18’ x 36’.
Their solar heating system allows you to capture free heat from the sun’s rays to effectively raise your pool water temperature. And their solar panels are designed for easy DIY installation and they can increase your Intex pool’s temperature by as much as 15 degrees Fahrenheit.
How To Heat An Intex Pool – Final Thoughts
As you can see there are a lot of great options on how to heat an Intex pool it all comes down to what kind of feature you need and how much you’re willing to spend acquiring your pool heater and its operating costs.
If you live in a warmer climate, we suggest getting a solar cover or blanket first and test it if it’ll be sufficient to heat your pool.
For those living in colder regions, we recommend getting a more powerful heating system, either a gas pool heater if you need to have a heating system that can quickly heat your pool and you don’t mind spending on operating costs.
If operating costs are a concern, then getting a solar heating system or using a heat pump is what we will recommend for you.
Did Not Find The Intex Pool Heater You’re Looking For? Check Some Of These.
Photo by Editor B