Last Updated on January 15, 2021
This guide about how much does it cost to run a hot tub is perfect for those who are still in the planning stage and want to find out what to expect for operating costs. Of course, hot tub owners can also use this to check if they are overspending on hot tub costs.
Most hot tub manufacturers advertise the average cost to run their products as only costing you one dollar per day, but how true is this statement?
Is $30 enough to run your hot tub for the whole month? Or will it cost more than that?
Let’s find out by analyzing how much you can expect in tub electricity costs, the cost of chemicals and accessories for normal maintenance, and how much you have to set aside to repair your hot tub in case something unexpected happens.
How Much Electricity Does a Hot Tub Use Per Month?
The tub energy costs of a hot tub are determined by how much electricity the heater and pump consumes. Keeping the water warm and well-circulated can cost you anywhere from less than a dollar per day for energy-efficient hot tubs or up to $50 per month for high-end ones.
A hot tub heater usually needs between 1,500 watts to 6,000 watts while the pump needs another 1,500 watts to operate. The actual energy cost will vary on how much your local electric company charge for each kilowatt-hour kwh, your local climate, and how often you use your hot tub.
For those living in areas with mild winters, heating a hot tub will cost less compared to those in northern climates since less energy consumption will be required. You also have to consider the quality and age of your water heater, the size of your hot tub, and the number of times you use it to properly determine the actual cost of heating your hot tub.
A great way to reduce your hot tub’s electrical consumption and save money is by using the right-sized hot tub cover with enough insulation to help keep your tub water warm when it’s not in use. This will help trap heat and lessen the time needed to reheat your hot tub water to your ideal temperature whenever you plan on using it.
How Much Water Does a Hot Tub Need Per Month?
This highly depends on the size of your hot tub and how you maintain the water when it’s already there.
A hot tub needs to be drained and cleaned at least once every couple of months as part of healthy hot tub maintenance. To estimate the monthly water replacement cost, you can multiply gallons of water in your tub by the number of times you have to drain and refill it every year, then divide it by 12. The number you come up with is your monthly water use, all you have to do is multiply it by the cost per gallon of water.
For example, a 600-gallon hot tub cleaned four times a year, with water at $0.002 per gallon, will result in a $0.40 increase to your water bill each month.
How Much Do Hot Tub Chemicals Cost Per Month?
Similar to how you maintain a swimming pool, hot tub maintenance will also require you to use certain chemicals to keep your water clean and clear.
- SIMPLIFIED MAINTENANCE: With this complete spa treatment kit, featuring low chemical content and natural ingredients, you can clean your spa with ease. Whether for an indoor or outdoor hot tub or spa,...
- WATER TREATMENT AT ITS BEST: For use in hot tubs large and small, our water treatment system begins with a 1x monthly water conditioner that reduces foam, increases filter efficiency, and stabilizes...
- CLEAN & NATURAL HOT TUB CARE: Perfect for those with sensitive skin, our products are free from phosphates, chlorine, perfumes, fragrances, and dyes to eliminate itchy skin and red eyes. This spa...
- FOR ALL YOUR SPA-CLEANING NEEDS: EcoOne products are the easiest way to maintain a clean, bacteria-free, and healthy home or commercial hot tub. Whether to clean your filter or maintain a healthy pH...
The most basic level of hot tub water care will cost you around $20 per month. This will require you to add bottled chemicals yourself to ensure that your tub water is safe to use.
You do have the option to upgrade your water care system to save money and reduce the number of times needed to maintain your hot tub.
A good example is a salt water system that maintains the cleanliness of the water by converting salt to chlorine. It’s known to improve your spa experience and require less maintenance than other water care system.
How Much Do Hot Tub Accessories Cost?
If your hot tub did not come as a complete set, then you still have to purchase a durable insulated hot tub cover, a ground cloth for those with inflatable hot tubs, a chemical dispenser, and some luxury items such as hot tub seats and headrests.
- Replace your spa cover with America’s Largest and most trusted Spa Cover Supplier. With our 100% satisfaction guarantee you can be confident in replacing your spa cover with MySpaCover.
- All spa covers are custom made to order to ensure a perfect fit. We will custom make any shape and size up to 96x96 with 10 vibrant colors to choose from. After completing your purchase our team will...
- We use commercial grade material including 30oz marine grade vinyl and energy efficient virgin EPS insulation foam. All seems are double stitch all seems to ensure you get the longest life out of your...
- MySpaCover makes the most energy efficient Spa Covers in the market. Our covers save customers up to $80/yr in energy savings.
Among the items mentioned, the hot tub cover should be your top priority for proper care of your hot tub since it will protect your hot tub against dirt, insects, and weather elements and help keep your tub water warm and reduce your heating costs. The cost of a good hot tub cover highly depends on the size of your tub and how much insulation it has.
How Much Does It Cost To Maintain and Repair A Hot Tub?
You should also prepare for your hot tub’s maintenance and repair costs as part of your hot tub ownership expense. Hot tub filters must be replaced every 1 to 2 years. Depending on your chosen hot tub, you will either have to replace a single filter cartridge or multiple ones at least once a year. Hot tub filters usually cost about $45 per piece.
- 19 1/4'' Length
- 6'' Top And Bottom Hole
- 10'' Diameter
Whenever you clean your tub, make sure that you clean the filter as well to extend its life and keep your hot tub running efficiently.
When it comes to repairs, you can add $200 to $500 for your hot tub to your home maintenance costs, and that should be enough to cover any future repair.
How Much Does It Cost To Run A Hot Tub?
Overall, having a hot tub and keeping it in tip-top shape may not be that expensive as you might think. Since most of the hot tubs today are energy-efficient, the most you might spend on a hot tub’s energy consumption is at $50 per month, and this is for high-end hot tubs. Add in the $20 per month you need to buy the needed chemicals to maintain it, another $20 per month for ongoing maintenance costs, and the minimal increase to your water bill.
You should be able to enjoy your hot tub for less than $100 a month. And you can easily reduce that $100 to $70 per month by simply doing some of the following steps.
- Get a high-quality hot tub that’s proven to be very energy-efficient.
- Place your hot tub in a location that gets a good amount of sunlight but does not get strong winds often to prevent heat loss.
- Use the best hot tub cover you can get that’ll keep your hot tub clean and warm.
- Lower the water temperature of your outdoor spa by a few degrees in the winter to reduce hot tub energy.
- Change your water care system to a saltwater system.
- Close the spa’s air jets when no one is using the hot tub.
- Keep your hot tub water clear and clean.