Last Updated on October 17, 2021
The best pool test kits can be a lifesaver for those who want to keep their water clean and swim-ready.
If you have a swimming pool, you must know what the chemical levels of your water are. This will allow you to adjust any potential imbalance before they become more difficult to handle. The right balance of these chemicals in pools helps prevent the growth of algae, as well as other bacteria or fungi that could turn your swimming experience into a nightmare!
To make sure your pool stays healthy and inviting all season long, you must maintain it by testing its chemical levels on a regular basis.
Our Top Picks At A Glance
How To Choose The Best Pool Test Kit
With so many different brands and types of kits on the market today, it can be difficult to find exactly what you need. That is why we have gone ahead and compiled this list of tips to help make your decision easier.
Find out how much your budget is for your pool water test kit. Typically, digital test kits are more expensive than other types of pool testing kits. The upfront costs for a digital test kit can be quite high while the others typically come in under $200 and still offer a lot of information about your water quality.
Next, find out what chemicals will you be testing. There are many options when it comes to pool test kits. You may opt for a larger kit, such as a high-end digital pool test kit that can handle just about anything or you might find the simpler color/titrimetric is enough with an additional individual test here and there.
Check the state regulations if they have any legal requirements when it comes to pool test kits. You never know what they’ll require, so it pays off to check with your state before you buy.
Types Of Pool Testing Kits
Choosing the best pool test kit can be a daunting task. There are many factors to consider when choosing which one is right for you and your needs, so understanding what they all mean will help in narrowing down your options.
Pool Test Strips
Test strips are a low-cost way to test your pool’s water quality. The best thing about these test strips other than their low price is how simple they are to use; just dip them into some pool water for a few seconds then you’ll be able to see if there are any problematic chemicals by looking at color variations on the strip.
Liquid Test Kits
With liquid test kits, you can have peace of mind that your pool is always safe and is properly balanced. The kit determines chemical levels in a more reliable way than testing strips which are not as accurate or complete when it comes to measuring chemicals.
Digital Pool Testers
These handy devices are known for their accuracy and reliability, they’re extremely easy to use with an LCD display that is easily viewable in all types of lighting conditions. There are also some digital pool test kits with a memory function that lets you store multiple readings at one time.
Best Pool Test Kits This 2021
If you’re a pool owner, then you know all about the importance of good pool chemistry. The pH balance, chlorine, and calcium levels in your water will make or break the quality of your swimming experience. That’s why we’ve put together this list of the best pool test kits for maintaining the perfect pool chemistry.
LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit
- Features a photometer which gives you a digital reading of test results.
- Water resistant housing and carrying case provided.
- Tests Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, Bromine, PH, Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid.
- Uses liquid reagents for all test factors except Cyanuric Acid, which uses tablets.
The LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit is one of the best and most comprehensive kits currently on the market. It works better than other types of testing kits because of its accuracy in testing all sorts of pool chemical levels from pH, alkalinity, total chlorine, free chlorine, calcium hardness, copper, iron, cyanuric acid, and more.
We’ve tried a lot of different pool testing kits and never really found the perfect one, but this kit is the closest we’ve seen yet. This testing kit is high-quality, user-friendly, and comes with an easy-to-read digital display.
The price of this testing kit is a little steep compared to the others on our list, but the tests are more comprehensive.
U.S. Pool Supply 5-Way Swimming Pool & Spa Water Test Kit
- Professional premium 5-way water test kit for maintaining proper Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Alkalinity, and Acid Demand chemical levels in swimming pools and spas. The test kit is organized and stored in...
- Kit includes 6 different types of indicator solutions in 1/2 ounce dropper bottles. OTO (Orthotolidine) Chlorine Test Solution, Phenol Red pH Test Solution, Acid Demand and 3 types of Total Alkalinity...
- Includes a clear view water testing block with an accurate measuring scale and integrated color markings for the chemical levels. It also includes a round view testing cup with measurement markings.
- Kit comes with a complete detailed user guide that includes step-by-step instructions, easy to read color chart, and a trouble prevention guide.
The U.S. Pool Supply 5-Way Swimming Pool & Spa Water Test Kit is perfect because it comes with an easy-to-read color chart and step-by-step instructions. It includes a trouble prevention guide so you can maintain the chemical levels in your pool without any hassle!
The components of the kit are pretty easy to store as it comes with a polyethylene case. And as per the manufacturer, each of these kits lasts for about one year of tests, which is extremely reasonable for its current price.
Taylor K2005 Swimming Pool Test Kit
- Includes .75 oz reagent bottles
- High Range (HR) kit
This high-range pool test from Taylor will give you precision when it comes to measuring the most important features of a swimming pool: chlorine and pH levels for starters. The Taylor K2005 Swimming Pool Test Kit also tests bromine and alkalinity so that any potential issues can be caught early on before they become unmanageable problems.
JNW Direct Pool and Spa Test Strips
- THE ULTIMATE AT HOME POOL TEST STRIPS for your swimming pool & spa. Tests for 7 parameters: total hardness, total chlorine, bromine, free chlorine, pH, cyanuric acid (stabilizer) & total alkalinity
- EXTREMELY EASY TO USE pool water test strips, Instant reliable results with simple and clear instructions. Simply dip and compare with large color chart on bottle. Ideal range marked on bottle
- BONUS FREE E-BOOK INCLUDED - Record, track and monitor your pool test strip results with ultimate accuracy
- 100 STRIPS MEANS 100 TESTS - Each swimming pool test strip provides accurate and fast results for any water sources including fresh and salt water pools, spas and hot-tubs
These pool and spa test strips from JNW Direct are perfect for anyone looking to find out about the chemicals in their water. With 100 easy-to-use tests per bottle, you can check your free and total chlorine, calcium hardness, pH level, or alkalinity with just one quick dip of a strip.
You won’t have any worries over accuracy because each bottle comes equipped with color-coded comparators on the side – making it easy to see if everything is within the ideal range.
Health Metric Pool and Spa Test Strips
- ✅ DIVE IN & SWIM CAREFREE - Relax into your pool or spa’s sparkling clean water. These testing strips provide a reliable, accurate reading in seconds so you can enjoy your next swim, stress-free.
- ✅ FASTER & EASIER THAN LIQUID TEST KITS - Strips are faster and simpler than liquid testing kits, with accuracy as good or better. Our strips are about 20% wider than most other brands, making them...
- ✅ SAVE HUNDREDS & FREQUENT TRIPS TO THE POOL STORE - This kit includes 50 pool test strips which will last 2-3 months testing 2-3 times per week. Save time, money, and avoid hassle while knowing...
- ✅ 7-IN-1 COMPLETE CHEMICAL TESTING - Test for Total Chlorine or Bromine, Free Chlorine, Total Alkalinity, pH, Total Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid. These seven tests provide extensive info for keeping...
Health Metric Pool and Spa Test Strips will help you save time and money by providing an instant reading of the crucial chemical ranges you need to test in your swimming pool, including pH, alkalinity, chlorine. One container comes with 50 dip-and-read pool chemistry test strips to offer accurate readings that won’t fade when it comes in contact with water.
Why Is It Important To Test Your Pool Water?
If you are a pool owner, then the chances are that you have been told to test your pool water several times. You may be wondering why this is so important and what exactly it entails.
It’s important to know if there are high levels of chlorine or other chemicals in the pool so they can be adjusted accordingly. If pH levels aren’t balanced, then algae growth may occur which could make the pool water cloudy or green.
The same can be said about your pool’s calcium levels, it could damage your pool structure and equipment if it’s too high.
A properly balanced pool is safe and will keep your pool liner from corroding, which in turn increases its lifespan.
Ideal Pool Chemical Levels
Imagine it’s summertime and you’re ready to get in the pool with your friends and family. But before you dive in, you have to make sure the water is safe for swimming by testing your pool water. So what are the right chemical levels for your pool water that you should strive to get?
- pH: 7.4 – 7.6
- Chlorine: 1.0 – 3.0 ppm
- Total Alkalinity: 80 – 140 ppm
- Calcium Hardness: 180 – 300 ppm
- Cyanuric Acid: 30 – 50 ppm
Frequently Asked Questions About Pool Water Test Kits
Do digital pool water testers work?
Yes, the best digital pool water test meters provide accurate results, which is crucial for any chlorine-based pool. Frequent calibration should be done regularly to make it more reliable.
Are pool test strips accurate?
Pool test strips are a foolproof way to ensure your pool’s water is balanced and clean. They’re a more reliable method than using liquid tests because they eliminate the risk of human error, which makes them perfect for busy people who don’t have time or inclination to fiddle with their pools daily.
How often should I check my pool water?
Pool owners should have their pool water tested at least twice a week, more frequently when the pool is being used often.
The chlorine and pH levels in your swimming pool need to be checked at least 2-3 times a week, depending on your pool usage and what type of weather is going around that time.