Last Updated on January 30, 2023
Painting your pool deck can be a great way to prevent cracks, peels, and blisters from showing on your deck.
Your pool deck is more than just a floor in your pool area. Sure, it gives you a safe place to walk around your pool and a place to put your pool accessories on like slides, lights, or pool umbrellas.
But your pool deck also serves as a good reflection of your swimming pool’s overall quality.
And the best way to ensure you improve or maintain this quality is to Premium Acrylic Deck Paints use the best pool deck paint to give your deck a cleaner and fresher look.
Here Are Our Best Pool Deck Paints Recommendations
Coverage: ~200 sq. ft
Multiple Colors: NO
Coverage: 80-120 sq. ft
Multiple Colors: YES
Coverage: 250-300 sq. ft
Multiple Colors: YES
Whether you’re painting your pool deck for the first time or trying to restore its beauty, the paint you’ll be using will have a lasting effect on your family’s swimming pool experience.
Before we go into our list of the top 10 available pool deck paints, let’s discuss first how you can select the best pool deck paint for your upcoming project. We love the Cool Pool Deck Paint since it stays cool in the summer sun. Check out our Cool Pool deck coating review here.
How To Choose The Best Pool Deck Paint
Before deciding on what’s the best pool deck paint for your swimming pool, you may want to answer the following questions.
- What type of pool deck do you have?
- What’s the surface area of your pool deck?
- Can the paint provide the best protection against elements?
- What color will match better to your pool area?
- How much is your budget for this project?
However, you answer these questions will not only increase your overall purchase satisfaction but will lessen the amount of time you have to spend choosing the right product for your pool deck.
Types Of Pool Deck Paints
Water-Based Acrylic Paints
- Water-based acrylic paints are best for pool owners who don’t have any idea what type of paint their pool deck is currently using.
- This paint type has the shortest curing time and can dry within three days for an outdoor pool. For indoor pools, it can take up to 5 days.
- It is also the most affordable type of pool deck paint. And will be best suited for those in high humidity or rainy areas.
- The main disadvantage of using water-based acrylic paint for your pool deck is it does not last long. It only has a lifespan of 2 to 3 years. After that, you may have to repaint your deck.
Premium Acrylic Deck Paints
- Premium acrylic paints can be used on bare concrete or decks that had been previously painted with acrylic paint.
- This type of pool deck paints gives your deck a glossy finish.
- For outdoor pools, it can take up to 3 days before the paint dries.
- For indoor pools, it may take a week or more before it dries.
- The premium acrylic paint can last for at least 3 years.
- The drawback of using premium acrylic paint is it may not be enough to hide or cover cracks or damaged surfaces on your pool deck.
Epoxy Pool Paints
- This type of pool deck paint is solvent-based and gives your pool deck a sharper look.
- Epoxy pool paints can be used on the following surfaces:
- Plaster pools
- It is considered the most durable and longest-lasting pool deck paint available today. Epoxy pool paints are known to last for at least 7 years.
- The main drawback to epoxy paints is they can only be used on bare surfaces, those who haven’t been painted before or are already using epoxy paint.
- It can take days or a whole week before a painted outdoor pool cure. And for indoor pools, it can take up to two weeks.
- It’s a lengthy process, but it’ll be worth it. Since it gives your pool the fresh finish you wanted.
Water-Based Acrylic Paints
Premium Acrylic Deck Paints
Epoxy Pool Paints
The 10 Best Pool Deck Paints of 2023 – Buying Guide
Our Top Pick for Best Pool Deck Paint is the TotalBoat TotalTread Non-Skid Deck Paint
- NON-SKID DECK PAINT: Durable, textured, low-glare high-traction surface for secure footing, with a comfortable rubberized texture that's less abrasive than traditional silica additives
- LONG-LASTING POLYURETHANE FINISH: Durable coating won't fade or peel; easy to clean - scrubbing won't wear away the finish; affordable way to bring your old boat flooring back to life
- NON-SLIP PAINT WITH MANY APPLICATIONS: Boat decks, docks, cabin soles, hatches, stairs, steps, gunwales, swim platforms, concrete, patios, floors, and anywhere else you need sure footing
- 1-PART PAINT IS EASY TO APPLY by brush or roller on fiberglass, wood, properly primed aluminum, metals, and previously painted surfaces; add a second coat for greater traction. Coverage: 250-300 sq....
We highly recommend the TotalBoat TotalTread Non-Skid Deck Paint for those looking for the best pool deck paint.
It’s very easy to apply on any type of pool deck surface. The paint has silica instead of polyurethane to better prevent slip accidents on your pool deck.
It also has a UV-stable formula that keeps it from fading, peeling, or cracking.
You may only need a single coat of this pool deck paint, but the manufacturer suggests adding a second coat for added protection and traction. For a more aggressive grip, you may apply a third coat.
The colors you can choose from are gray, white, and sand beige.
Best for Wooden Decks: Kilz Over Armor Textured Wood Coating
- Over Armor offers an innovative solid color coating that brings old, weathered wood or concrete back to life with an advanced and durable 100% acrylic resin formula.
- This solid color, textured coating bridges cracks, hides imperfections, and gives a uniform look to old, weathered wood and concrete.
- Use on weathered or cracked horizontal or vertical wood and composite surfaces such as decks, porches and boat docks, or railings as well as concrete surfaces like pool decks, patios and sidewalks....
- Over Armor is designed to conceal splinters and cracks up to 1/4-inch and creates a textured slip-resistant finish. Not for drivable surfaces such as garage floors or driveways. All surfaces must be...
For those pool owners with wooden decks, we recommend using the Kilz Over Armor paint. It features an advanced 100% acrylic-resin based formula that provides a solid color coating that will easily bring any old or weathered wood back to life.
It’s one of the best pool deck paint when it comes to hiding imperfections like splinters and cracks, and it also gives your deck a uniform look.
The manufacturer recommends applying two coats of Kilz Over Armor paint for optimal durability.
Once cured, it’ll give your pool deck a durable and mildew-resistant finish.
The colors available for this paint are chocolate brown and redwood.
Best for Concrete Decks: INSL-X Sure Step Anti-Slip Coating
- Durable, skid resistant finish anti slip paint for interior or exterior application, excellent color retention, abrasion resistance, and resistance to ponding water.
- High traffic slip resistant paint for concrete that’s ideal for stairs, walkways, patios, and more.
- Fast drying, durable, easy application that fills and seals cracks.
- 80 - 120 square foot coverage per gallon.
The INSL-X Sure Step Anti-Slip Coating is specifically made for concrete surfaces. It can easily hide imperfections on your pool deck due to the paint’s thickness.
The paint itself has good color retention, abrasion resistance, and resistance to ponding water. And is one of the best anti-skid paint in the market today.
The manufacture suggests applying two coatings of this paint for a more durable and beautiful finish.
This pool deck paint comes in white, light gray, gray pearl, pine green, and tile red colors.
Liquid Rubber Cool Foot Deck Coating
- UV RESISTANCE - Our Deck and Dock Coating has excellent solar reflectivity and UV stability; reduces heat transfer by up to 35% compared to regular paint
- UV RESISTANCE - Our Deck Coating has excellent solar reflectivity and UV stability; reduces heat transfer by up to 35% compared to regular paint
- PROTECTIVE FINISH FOR - Wood, concrete, decks, walls, fences and more for a seamless membrane!
- EASY TO APPLY - Use a brush, roller, or paint sprayer for a seamless and fully adhered membrane. Designed as a stand-alone coating but can also be used with Liquid Rubber Seam Tape
This pool deck paint, Liquid Rubber Cool Foot Deck Coating, reduces heat transfer by up to 35% compared to regular paint. Making it a suitable pool deck paint for outdoor pools.
It can be easily applied to any surface with a brush or a roller or a paint sprayer.
The manufacturer suggests applying two thin coats of paint for a much better finish.
You may choose between the following colors: white, pale brown, misty gray, and neutral beige.
Liquid Rubber Color Waterproof Sealant Indoor & Outdoor Coating
- PROTECTIVE FINISH FOR - Flat roofs, metal roofs, sloped roofs, planter boxes, foundations, sheds, basements, metal, wood, concrete and more
- HIGHLY FLEXIBLE & DURABLE - Final membrane has over 1000% elongation preventing adhesion failure, and is UV Stable stopping the sun from degrading the product
- COVERAGE - Vertical Surfaces - 1 gallon/30 sq ft (2.8 sq m). 3-4 heavy coats to achieve a 30 mil (0.76 mm) membrane. Flat/Ponding Surfaces - 1 gallon/15 sq ft (1.4 sq m). 4-5 heavy coats to achieve a...
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY - Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant/Coating is water based, containing no solvents, VOC's or harmful odors. Safe for humans and pets alike, can be used indoors and outdoors...
The Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant Indoor & Outdoor Coating is recommended for those who have decks with rough surfaces.
The paint is designed to give you a waterproof and non-skid surface and is UV stable. This means it will not peel or fade from being exposed to the sun.
The manufacturer recommends applying at least three coats of this paint for the best results.
The paint has the following colors: beige, hunter green, medium brown, white, and a variety of gray colors.
In The Swim Patio and Deck Paint
- Excellent for restoration of concrete surfaces
- Leaves a Non-Slip Finish when dry
- Can be applied to a damp surface
- Two coats required on initial application
In The Swim specializes in pools and decks, and that makes their water-based paint one of the best in the market today. This paint is best for restoring your pool deck to its former glory.
The In The Swim Patio and Deck Paint can be used on any type of deck surface. It provides a good non-slip and beautiful finish. And can be applied even on damp surfaces.
The manufacturer suggests applying two coats for optimum results.
This pool deck paint comes in granite, ivory, white, taupe, putty, buff tan, and sand tone colors.
Kilz L377711 1-Part Epoxy Acrylic Concrete and Garage Floor Paint
- A good concrete floor paint is highly durable, easy to clean and won't scuff, fade, crack or blister easily, even from hot tires and other heavy activity.
- This single component, water-based floor paint is formulated to last in hard to clean areas like basements and garages. It's resistant to staining and damage from chemicals, Oil and gasoline.
- Use this high-durability floor paint on coated or uncoated concrete, masonry, stone and brick. This paint is ideal on high-traffic surfaces such as garage floors, basements, driveways and porches....
- KILZ concrete floor paint delivers a Satin finish that applies smoothly and evenly to floors and horizontal surfaces. Dries to touch in 2 hours. Recoat in 4 hours. Not intended for vertical surfaces.
Another Kilz product that we suggest concrete pool deck owners use is the Kilz L377711 1-Part Epoxy Acrylic Concrete and Garage Floor Paint.
It’s made not to fade, crack, scuff, or blister easily even from heavy activities. The paint is resistant to staining and damage from chemicals.
You can use this paint on coated or uncoated concrete, stone, and brick.
The manufacturer recommends applying two thin coats for added durability. They also caution users not to over-apply the paint for a better quality finish.
It delivers a Satin finish that can be applied smoothly and evenly to floors and horizontal surfaces.
Available colors for this paint are slate gray and silver/gray.
Kelley Technical Olympic Patio Tones Deck Coatings
- Textured for Slip Resistance
- No Need to Mix
- Resists Peeling & Chipping
The Kelley Technical Olympic Patio Tones Deck Paint can give your pool deck an updated look. This non-slip acrylic paint can penetrate any concrete to provide a slip-resistant surface.
The manufacturer requires applying at least two coats for the best results.
This paint has the following colors to choose from: sand valley, champagne, and desert sun.
Cool Decking Pool Deck Paint
- USED AT THEME PARKS: Our revolutionary pool and deck product is the coating-of-choice for water theme parks, resorts, national landmarks, and now residential swimming pools. We offer commercial...
- COMFORTABLE FEET: If the walk to your pool is more like a sprint, COOL is for you! Our revolutionary coating absorbs the heat and transfers it directly into the soil below to keeping your feet...
- NO SLIPPERY SURFACES: If a safe pool area is a top priority for you, COOL is the perfect solution for a safe, skid-resistant surface around your swimming pool or hot tub. Meets ADA safety requirements...
- REPAIRS CONCRETE & STAYS CLEANER: COOL’s specialized coating bonds with concrete at a molecular level, filling in cracks and permanently sealing them. The smooth, sealed surface makes it difficult...
Another good pool deck paint you can use is the Cool Decking Pool Deck Paint that can give you and your family a safe and skid-resistant surface to walk on.
This is the perfect paint for those who own large-sized pool decks as it can cover at least 150 square feet.
According to the manufacturer, this water-based paint can reduce heat build-up on your pool deck by as much as 38%.
They also recommend applying at least two coatings of this paint to your deck for a better and more durable finish.
Encore Wood Deck Coating
- PROTECT and PREVENT– Coating seals up the pores of the wood, preventing unwanted moisture from penetrating and damaging the surface of your pool deck, patio, or porch. By sealing the pores, the...
- RESURFACE and REPAIR – Water activated self-repairing wood deck coating kit repairs cracks and holes on patios, decks and other wooden surfaces. This not only extends the longevity of the wood but...
- SAFE and SECURE – Environmentally friendly sealant is a water-based coating protecting the deck from the harsh effects of UV rays, which can cause fading and discoloration over time. Once applied...
- QUICK-ACTING and QUALITY - Easily applied in less than a day with a simple paint roller or brush, quickly protecting the area. Applying sealant is a simple and cost-effective way to protect and extend...
The Encore Wood Deck Coating can be used on both wood and concrete.
With this water-based paint, you can easily give your family a safe, skid-resistant pool deck, and lock down any dangerous splinters on it.
It’s designed to be fire and stain-resistant and can be easily cleaned by water.
For added durability, the manufacturer recommends applying two coatings of this paint.
According to them, this paint is tintable to any color.
Benefits of Painting Your Pool Deck
More Affordable Option
- Painting your pool deck is the easiest and most affordable way to get your pool deck the makeover it needs.
- For wooden pool decks, you may be asked to strip the old stain and sand and then re-stain it.
- For concrete pool decks, you may have to pressure wash them, fill the cracks and holes, and reseal them.
- These processes require more time and money.
- Opting to paint your deck is the more affordable option and a much easier task.
- If your pool deck has been looking faded, then applying new paint to it gives it a fresher look.
- Or if you’ve been itching for a whole makeover of your pool deck. You’ll have many options to choose from allowing you to select the best color paint for your pool deck.
- You can easily paint your pool deck based on your preference. Giving you a new and modern-looking pool deck.
- Just be aware that not all pool deck paints come in various colors. You need to settle with a color that’s available if you’ve already decided on which deck paint to buy.
Makes It Safer To Use
- Painting your pool deck does not only gives it a better look but makes it safer to use as well.
- Most modern pool deck paints are waterproof and have an added non-slip feature. This improves the overall safety whenever you walk around your pool deck and helps prevent pool accidents.
Improve Pool Deck’s Overall Condition
- When you paint your pool deck, you improve your deck’s overall condition from its appearance (by covering its imperfections), texture (smoother surface), and lifespan.
- Painting your pool deck is an affordable way to ensure that you have a nice-looking, safe, and durable deck for you and your family.
- If you need more information on how durable a certain paint is, you can check for verified customer reviews available online.
How To Paint Your Pool Deck
If you prefer doing all the pool deck painting all by yourself, then you need to factor in the type of material you are using on your deck. The amount of prep work needed is different for each paint type and deck condition.
To paint your pool deck properly, you can follow these step-by-step instructions.
u003cstrongu003eStep-By-Step Guide On How To Paint Your Pool Decku003c/strongu003e
Consider the current paint on your deck
Before buying a pool deck paint, make sure it is compatible with your pool deck’s material. You should consider the current paint on your pool deck. Some pool deck paints may not work on pool decks painted already with acrylic or epoxy.
Gather all the materials you need
Select the pool deck paint you prefer to use. Buy your brushes and rollers. And other materials that you might need before painting your pool deck.
Thoroughly clean your pool deck
Make sure that your pool deck is as clean as possible. You’ll have to remove nails for wooden decks. Or fill in holes or cracks for concrete decks. Make sure you only paint on it when the pool deck is dry for best results.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eSweeping your pool deck before painting helps too.
Prepare your pool deck paint
This step relies on the product instructions of your chosen pool deck paint. You must follow your paint manufacturer’s instructions in mixing or preparing your pool deck paint to ensure you’ll only be getting the best possible result.
Paint your pool deck
After prepping your paint, it’s now time to paint your pool deck.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eStart at one end of your deck and work yourself to the other side.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eYou must wait for at least a day for the pool deck paint to dry depending on the type of paint you use. And then apply the second coating if needed.
Wait for the paint to dry
After applying the second coating for your pool deck, give it some time to dry properly.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eAcrylic paints may need at least three days. Epoxy paint can take up to a week to dry.
For concrete pool decks, before you paint them, we suggest you remove as much of any old sealant as possible. You might also consider doing a power wash.
For wooden pool decks, you need to remove all the loose nails first. Make sure you’ve filled all the holes before you apply your pool deck paint. We also suggest sanding it down first.
- [POWERFUL]: 14.5-Amp/1800-watt motor generates up to 2030 PSI (at initial discharge per CSA internal pressure testing) and 1.76 GPM (with nozzle open at minimum pressure) of water flow.Water Inlet...
- [VERSATILE]: Tackle a variety of cleaning tasks: homes, buildings, RV’s, cars, trucks, boats, decks, driveways, patios, lawn equipment, and more. With two 0.9 L onboard detergent tanks, removable...
- [TSS (Total Stop System)]: Automatically shuts off pump when trigger is not engaged to save energy and prolong pump life.
- [MAX PSI]: At initial discharge per CSA internal pressure testing. Max GPM with nozzle open at minimum pressure.
Final Thoughts On Pool Deck Paints
Applying fresh paint on your pool deck is a great way to give your swimming pool area a new and refreshing look.
If you know exactly what you need and want for your pool deck, you’ll save a lot of time and money if you invest in one of these good pool deck paints.
Hopefully, our buying guide here about the best pool deck paints available today helped you in deciding which one to get.
If you want to add more excitement to your swimming pool experience, check out these articles:
- Easy Pool Games – 11 Fun Games For The Family
- Floating Pool Lights: Best Pool Lights This 2021
- Best Pool Basketball Hoop – 5 Top Picks for 2021
Frequently Asked Questions About Pool Deck Paints
What is the best pool deck paint?
We consider the u003cstrongu003eTotalBoat TotalTread Non-Skid Deck Paintu003c/strongu003e as the best overall pool deck paint because of its UV-stable formula and how cost-efficient it is in improving your pool deck’s appearance and durability.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eThe best pool deck paint for concrete decks is the u003cemu003eINSL-X Sure Step Anti-Slip Coatingu003c/emu003e.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eThe best pool deck paint for wooden decks is the u003cemu003eKilz Over Armor Textured Wood Coatingu003c/emu003e.
What is the best color to paint a pool deck?
The best color to paint your pool deck with are natural-looking colors. The specific color you should use highly depends on your preference.
How long does pool deck paint last?
Your pool deck paint can last for several years. For acrylic paints, it can be for at least 2 years. For epoxy paints, it can be from 6 to 8 years.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eKeep in mind that the higher quality pool deck paint you use, the longer it can last. You should consider this as an investment and get the best paint available to you.
How much will it cost to paint my pool deck?
The cost of painting your pool area may differ depending on its size and the materials you have and will be using.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eYou’ll have to consider the size of your pool deck, the type of paint you’ll be using, and the number of coats required to paint your pool deck.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eYou can spend anywhere between $200 up to $1,000. You’ll have a better estimate once you call a shop’s paint department and tell them about your pool deck size and the material/s you have on your deck.
How do I make my pool deck less slippery?
The are numerous ways you can do to make your pool deck less slippery, some of them are using slip-resistant tape, painting your pool deck, or adding silica sand.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eThe easiest and long-lasting solution among them is applying anti-skid paint.
What’s the difference between pool deck paints and stains?
Stains are usually used on concrete and wooden decks and they’re absorbed by the pool deck material. Meanwhile, pool deck paints cover the whole surface and are able to completely change its color based on the paint that you used.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eStaining pool decks might sound easier but painting them does a better job covering the imperfections and offers longer-lasting protection against damage. Pool deck paints are also more resistant to weather, rot, and mold.
Did Not Find The Pool Deck Paint You’re Looking For?
Photos by Taylor Simpson and David Pisnoy