Last Updated on August 23, 2020
Your pool deck is more than just a floor in your pool area. Sure, it gives you a safe place to walk around your pool and a place to put your pool accessories on like slides, lights, or pool umbrellas.
But your pool deck also serves as a good reflection of your swimming pool’s overall quality.
And the best way to ensure you improve or maintain this quality is to use the best pool deck paint to give your deck a cleaner and fresher look.
Painting your pool deck is also a great way to prevent cracks, peels, and blisters from showing on your deck.
Whether your painting your pool for the first time or trying to restore its beauty, the pool deck paint you’ll be using will have a lasting effect on your family’s swimming pool experience.
Before we go into our list of the top 10 available pool deck paints, let’s discuss first how you can select the best pool deck paint for your upcoming project.
How To Choose The Best Pool Deck Paint
Before deciding on what’s the best pool deck paint for your swimming pool, you may want to answer the following questions.
- What type of pool deck do you have?
- What’s the surface area of your pool deck?
- Can the paint provide the best protection against elements?
- What color will match better to your pool area?
- How much is your budget for this project?
However you answer these questions will not only increase your overall purchase satisfaction, but it will lessen the amount of time you have to spend choosing the right product for your pool deck.
Here Are Our Best Pool Deck Paints Recommendations
Types Of Pool Deck Paints
Water-Based Acrylic Paints
Water-based acrylic paints are best for pool owners who don’t have any idea what type of paint their pool deck is currently using.
This paint type has the shortest curing time and can dry within three days for an outdoor pool. For indoor pools, it can take up to 5 days.
It is also the most affordable type of pool deck paint. And will be best suited for those in high humidity or rainy areas.
The main disadvantage of using a water-based acrylic paint for your pool deck is it does not last long. It only has a lifespan of 2 to 3 years. After that, you may have to repaint your deck again.
Premium Acrylic Deck Paints
Premium acrylic paints can be used on bare concrete or decks that had been previously painted with acrylic paint.
This type of pool deck paints give your deck a glossy finish.
For outdoor pools, it can take up to 3 days before the paint dries.
For indoor pools, it may take a week or more before it dries.
The premium acrylic paint can last for at least 3 years.
The drawback of using premium acrylic paint is it may not be enough to hide or cover cracks or damaged surfaces on your pool deck.
Epoxy Pool Paints
This type of pool deck paint is solvent-based and gives your pool deck a sharper look.
Epoxy pool paints can be used on the following surfaces:
- Plaster pools
It is considered the most durable and longest-lasting pool deck paint available today. Epoxy pool paints are known to last for at least 7 years.
The main drawback to epoxy paints is it can only be used on bare surfaces, those who haven’t been painted before, or are already using epoxy paint.
It can take days or a whole week before a painted outdoor pool cures. And for indoor pools, it can take up to two weeks.
It’s a lengthy process, but it’ll be worth it. Since it gives your pool the fresh finish you wanted.
The 10 Best Pool Deck Paints of 2020 – Buying Guide
Our Top Pick for Best Pool Deck Paint is the TotalBoat TotalTread Non-Skid Deck Paint
- NON-SKID DECK PAINT: Durable, textured, low-glare high-traction surface for secure footing, with a comfortable rubberized texture that's less abrasive than traditional silica additives
- LONG-LASTING POLYURETHANE FINISH: UV resistant coating won't fade or peel; easy to clean - scrubbing won't wear away the finish; affordable way to bring your old boat flooring back to life
- NON-SLIP PAINT WITH MANY APPLICATIONS: Boat decks, docks, cabin soles, hatches, stairs, steps, gunwales, swim platforms, concrete, patios, floors, and anywhere else you need sure footing
- 1-PART PAINT IS EASY TO APPLY by brush or roller on fiberglass, wood, properly primed aluminum, metals, and previously painted surfaces; add a second coat for greater traction. Coverage: 250-300 sq....
We highly recommend the TotalBoat TotalTread Non-Skid Deck Paint for those looking for the best pool deck paint.
It’s very easy to apply on any type of pool deck surface. The paint has silica instead of polyurethane to better prevent slip accidents on your pool deck.
It also has a UV-stable formula that keeps it from fading, peeling, or cracking.
You may only need a single coat of this pool deck paint, but the manufacturer suggests adding a second coat for added protection and traction. For a more aggressive grip, you may apply a third coat.
The colors you can choose from include gray, white, and sand beige.
Best for Wooden Decks: Kilz Over Armor Textured Wood Coating
- Over Armor offers an innovative solid color coating that brings old, weathered wood or concrete back to life with an advanced and durable 100% acrylic resin formula.
- This solid color, smooth coating bridges cracks, hides imperfections, and gives a uniform look to old, weathered wood and concrete.
- Use on weathered or cracked horizontal or vertical wood and composite surfaces such as decks, porches and boat docks, or railings as well as concrete surfaces like pool decks, patios and sidewalks.
- Over Armor is designed to conceal splinters and cracks up to 1/4-inch and creates a smooth, slip-resistant finish.
For those pool owners with wooden decks, we recommend using the Kilz Over Armor paint. It features an advanced 100% acrylic-resin based formula that provides a solid color coating that will easily bring any old or weathered wood back to life.
It’s one of the best pool deck paint when it comes to hiding imperfections like splinters and cracks, and it also gives your deck a uniform look.
The manufacturer recommends applying two coats of Kilz Over Armor paint for optimal durability.
Once cured, it’ll give your pool deck a durable and mildew-resistant finish.
Colors available for this paint are chocolate brown and redwood.
Best for Concrete Decks: INSL-X Sure Step Anti-Slip Coating
- Durable, skid resistant finish anti slip paint for interior or exterior application, excellent color retention, abrasion resistance, and resistance to ponding water.
- High traffic slip resistant paint for concrete that’s ideal for stairs, walkways, patios, and more.
- Fast drying, durable, easy application that fills and seals cracks.
- 80 - 120 square foot coverage per gallon.
The INSL-X Sure Step Anti-Slip Coating is specifically made for concrete surfaces. It can easily hide imperfections on your pool deck due to the paint’s thickness.
The paint itself has good color retention, abrasion resistance, and resistance to ponding water. And is one of the best anti-skid paint in the market today.
The manufacture suggests applying two coatings of this paint for a more durable and beautiful finish.
This pool deck paint comes in white, light gray, gray pearl, pine green, and tile red colors.
Liquid Rubber Cool Foot Deck Coating
- UV RESISTANCE - Our Deck and Dock Coating has excellent solar reflectivity and UV stability; reduces heat transfer by up to 35% compared to regular paint
- PROTECTIVE FINISH FOR - Wood, concrete, decks, docks, walls, fences and more for a seamless membrane!
- EASY TO APPLY - Use a brush, roller, or paint sprayer for a seamless and fully adhered membrane. Designed as a stand-alone coating but can also be used with Liquid Rubber Seam Tape
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY - Liquid Rubber Deck and Dock Coating is water based, non-flammable, and non-toxic, containing no solvents or VOC's. Safe for humans and pets alike, can be used indoors and...
This pool deck paint, Liquid Rubber Cool Foot Deck Coating, reduces heat transfer by up to 35% compared to regular paint. Making it a suitable pool deck paint for outdoor pools.
It can be easily applied to any surface with a brush or a roller or a paint sprayer.
The manufacturer suggests applying two thin coats of paint for a much better finish.
You may choose between the following colors: white, pale brown, misty gray, and neutral beige.
Liquid Rubber Textured Polyurethane Deck and Dock Coating
The Liquid Rubber Textured Polyurethane Deck and Dock Coating is recommended for those who have decks with rough surfaces.
The paint is designed to give you a waterproof and non-skid surface and is UV stable. This means it will not peel or fade from being exposed to the sun.
The manufacturer recommends applying at least three coats of this paint for the best results.
The paint has the following colors: white, brown, and a variety of gray colors.
In The Swim Patio and Deck Paint
- Excellent for restoration of concrete surfaces
- Leaves a Non-Slip Finish when dry
- Can be applied to a damp surface
- Two coats required on initial application
In The Swim specializes in pools and decks, and that makes their water-based paint one of the best in the market today. This paint is best for restoring your pool deck to its former glory.
The In The Swim Patio and Deck Paint can be used on any type of deck surface. It provides a good non-slip and beautiful finish. And can be applied even on damp surfaces.
The manufacturer suggests applying two coats for optimum results.
This pool deck paint comes in granite, ivory, white, taupe, putty, buff tan, and sand tone colors.
Kilz L377711 1-Part Epoxy Acrylic Concrete and Garage Floor Paint
- A good concrete floor paint is highly durable, easy to clean and won't scuff, fade, crack or blister easily, even from hot tires and other heavy activity.
- This single component, water-based floor paint is formulated to last in hard to clean areas like basements and garages. It's resistant to staining and damage from chemicals, Oil and gasoline.
- Use this high-durability floor paint on coated or uncoated concrete, masonry, stone and brick. This paint is ideal on high-traffic surfaces such as garage floors, basements, driveways and porches.
- KILZ concrete floor paint delivers a Satin finish that applies smoothly and evenly to floors and horizontal surfaces. Dries to touch in 2 hours. Recoat in 4 hours. Not intended for vertical surfaces.
Another Kilz product that we suggest concrete pool deck owners use is the Kilz L377711 1-Part Epoxy Acrylic Concrete and Garage Floor Paint.
It’s made not to fade, crack, scuff, or blister easily even from heavy activities. The paint is resistant to staining and damage from chemicals.
You can use this paint on coated or uncoated concrete, stone, and brick.
The manufacturer recommends applying two thin coats for added durability. They also caution users not to over apply the paint for a better quality finish.
It delivers a Satin finish that can be applied smoothly and evenly to floors and horizontal surfaces.
Available colors for this paint are slate gray and silver/gray.
Kelley Technical Olympic Patio Tones Deck Coatings
- Textured for Slip Resistance
- No Need to Mix
- Resists Peeling & Chipping
The Kelley Technical Olympic Patio Tones Deck Paint can give your pool deck an updated look. This non-slip acrylic paint can penetrate any concrete to provide a slip-resistant surface.
The manufacturer requires applying at least two coats for the best results.
This paint has the following colors to choose from: sand valley, champagne, and desert sun.
Cool Decking Pool Deck Paint
- USED AT THEME PARKS: Our revolutionary pool and deck product is the coating-of-choice for water theme parks, resorts, national landmarks, and now residential swimming pools. We offer commercial...
- COMFORTABLE FEET: If the walk to your pool is more like a sprint, COOL is for you! Our revolutionary coating absorbs the heat and transfers it directly into the soil below to keeping your feet...
- NO SLIPPERY SURFACES: If a safe pool area is a top priority for you, COOL is the perfect solution for a safe, skid-resistant surface around your swimming pool or hot tub. Meets ADA safety requirements...
- REPAIRS CONCRETE & STAYS CLEANER: COOL’s specialized coating bonds with concrete at a molecular level, filling in cracks and permanently sealing them. The smooth, sealed surface makes it difficult...
Another good pool deck paint you can use is the Cool Decking Pool Deck Paint that can give you and your family a safe and skid-resistant surface to walk on.
This is the perfect paint for those who own large-sized pool decks as it can cover at least 150 square feet.
According to the manufacturer, this water-based paint can reduce heat build-up on your pool deck by as much as 38%.
They also recommend applying at least two coatings of this paint to your deck for a better and more durable finish.
Encore Wood Deck Coating
- Encore resurfaces and repairs wood and concrete . Easy to Apply. Endless Color options.
- Best-In-Class Dry & Recoat Time - 30 minutes or less! Apply today. Enjoy tonight!
- Create a safe, skid-resistant finish and lock down dangerous splinters.
- Kit completes (2 coats) between 130 and 160 sq ft depending on condition of wood and technique.
The Encore Wood Deck Coating can be used on both wood and concrete.
With this water-based paint you can easily give your family a safe, skid-resistant pool deck, and lock down any dangerous splinters on it.
It’s designed to be fire and stain-resistant and can be easily cleaned by water.
For added durability, the manufacturer recommends applying two coatings of this paint.
According to them, this paint is tintable to any color.
Benefits of Painting Your Pool
More Affordable Option
Painting your pool deck is the easiest and most affordable way to get your pool deck a makeover it needs.
For wooden pool decks, you may be asked to strip the old stain and sand and then re-stain it.
For concrete pool decks, you may have to pressure wash it, fill the cracks and holes, and reseal it.
These processes require more time and money.
Opting to paint your deck is the more affordable option and a much easier task.
If your pool deck has been looking faded, then applying new paint to it gives it a fresher look.
Or if you’ve been itching for a whole makeover of your pool deck. You’ll have many options to choose from allowing you to select the best color paint for your pool deck.
You can easily paint your pool deck based on your preference. Giving you a new and modern-looking pool deck.
Makes It Safer To Use
Painting your pool deck does not only gives it a better look, but makes it safer to use as well.
Most modern pool deck paints are waterproof and have an added non-slip feature. This improves you and your family’s safety whenever you walk around your pool deck and helps prevent pool accidents.
Improve Pool Deck’s Overall Condition
When you paint your pool deck, you improve your deck’s overall condition from its appearance (by covering its imperfections), texture (smoother surface), and lifespan.
Painting your pool deck is an affordable way to ensure that you have a nice-looking, safe, and durable deck for you and your family.
How To Paint Your Pool Deck
If you prefer doing all the pool deck painting all by yourself, then you should follow these instructions.
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Paint Your Pool Deck
Consider the current paint on your deck
Before buying a pool deck paint, make sure it is compatible with your pool deck’s material. You should consider the current paint on your pool deck. Some pool deck paints may not work on pool decks painted already with acrylic or epoxy.
Gather all the materials you need
Select the pool deck paint you prefer to use. Buy your brushes and rollers. And other materials that you might need before painting your pool deck.
Thoroughly clean your pool deck
Make sure that your pool deck is as clean as possible. You’ll have to remove nails for wooden decks. Or fill in holes or cracks for concrete decks. Make sure you only paint on it when the pool deck is dry for best results.
Sweeping your pool deck before painting helps too.
Prepare your pool deck paint
This step relies on the product instructions of your chosen pool deck paint. You must follow your paint manufacturer’s instructions in mixing or preparing your pool deck paint to ensure you’ll only be getting the best possible result.
Paint your pool deck
After prepping your paint, it’s now time to paint your pool deck.
Start at one end of your deck and work yourself to the other side.
You must wait for at least a day for the pool deck paint to dry depending on the type of paint you use. And then apply the second coating if needed.
Wait for the paint to dry
After applying the second coating for your pool deck, give it some time to dry properly.
Acrylic paints may need at least three days. Epoxy paint can take up to a week to dry.
For concrete pool decks, before you paint it, we suggest you remove as much of any old sealant as possible. You might also consider doing a power wash.
For wooden pool decks, you need to remove all the loose nails first. Make sure you’ve filled all the holes before you apply your pool deck paint. We also suggest sanding it down first.
Final Thoughts On Pool Deck Paints
Applying fresh paint on your pool deck is a great way to give your swimming pool area a new and refreshing look.
If you know exactly what you need and want for your pool deck, you’ll save a lot of time and money if you invest in one of these good pool deck paints.
Hopefully, our buying guide here about the best pool deck paints available today helped you in deciding which one to get.
If you want to add more excitement to your swimming pool experience, check out these articles:
- Easy Pool Games – 11 Fun Games For The Family
- Floating Pool Lights: Best Pool Lights This 2020
- Best Pool Basketball Hoop – 5 Top Picks for 2020
Frequently Asked Questions About Pool Deck Paints
What is the best pool deck paint?
We consider the TotalBoat TotalTread Non-Skid Deck Paint as the best overall pool deck paint.
The best pool deck paint for concrete decks is the INSL-X Sure Step Anti-Slip Coating.
The best pool deck paint for wooden decks is the Kilz Over Armor Textured Wood Coating.
What is the best color to paint a pool deck?
The best color to paint your pool deck with are natural-looking colors. The specific color you should use highly depends on your preference.
How long does pool deck paint last?
Your pool deck paint can last for several years. For acrylic paints, it can be for at least 2 years. For epoxy paints, it can be from 6 to 8 years.
Keep in mind that the higher quality pool deck paint you use, the longer it can last.
How much will it cost to paint my pool deck?
The cost of painting your pool area may differ depending on its size and the materials you have and will be using.
You’ll have to consider the size of your pool deck, the type of paint you’ll be using, and the number of coats required to paint your pool deck.
You can spend anywhere between $200 up to $1,000. You’ll have a better estimate once you have your pool deck size and identify the materials you need.
How do I make my pool deck less slippery?
The are numerous ways you can do to make your pool deck less slippery, some of them are using slip-resistant tape, painting your pool deck, or adding silica sand.
The easiest and the long-lasting solution among them is applying an anti-skid paint.
Did Not Find The Pool Deck Paint You’re Looking For?