Last Updated on October 17, 2021
When most people buy an Intex pool set from a retailer, the store throws in a ladder as part of their package. Of course, just because they include this doesn’t mean it’s going to be especially safe or durable. Most of these ladders are designed for light use and offer little protection against falls into the water.
For more years of comfort and stability (not to mention peace of mind!), consider upgrading to one that’s considered the best ladders for Intex pools.
Our Top Picks
How To Choose The Best Intex Pool Ladders
Selecting the right ladder is more than just a quick trip to your local hardware store. There are so many considerations that need to be taken into account before you make such an important purchase, but we’ve narrowed it down for you with these five criteria:
Think about what’s going to best suit your needs and lifestyle before you invest in a new pool ladder. You have four primary options: metal, resin, vinyl, or plastic.
Metal ladders are going to be hotter to the touch, so consider getting some protective pads if you live in warmer climates like Florida.
Ease of Use
As we age, it can become more difficult to do things like climb into the pool. But with a ladder that has features such as ergonomically designed or extended handrails and wide treads, this is much easier for older individuals or those with mobility concerns.
Some pool ladders are adjustable, which means they can be used with a wide range of swimming pools. Plus if you decide to get a bigger pool at some point down the line, your ladder will adjust accordingly and continue being useful.
Safety is the most important factor to keep in mind when choosing a ladder for small children. Some Intex pool ladders have a locking function that will disable them so there’s no way they can be used without an authorized key or combination.
Above ground pool ladders and steps can be found anywhere from $300 to a whopping $1000. What influences the price is the brand, as well as certain features each model offers – such as wedding cake-style steps which are more expensive than normal curve stairs, or A-Frames with steel frames being pricier compared to their aluminum counterparts.
5 Best Ladders For Intex Pools
Many people are unaware of the fact that there is a wide variety of pool ladders available on the market. Intex has a great selection to choose from but there are some good third-party companies that are offering a more superior pool ladder than them.
All our recommended ladders are made from high-quality materials including corrosion-resistant steel handrails and durable plastic treads, perfect for heavy foot traffic around your Intex pool.
Confer Plastics 7200 Roll Guard A-Frame Safety Above Ground Swimming Pool Platform Ladder Steps
This Confer A-Frame Ladder is a perfect swimming pool ladder for large Intex pool owners. This makes getting in and out of your Intex easy and safe, with the curved side rails designed to be strong and keep you secure at all times. It’s also adjustable so that it can fit pools from 48 inches to 56 inches tall – making sure this versatile product will work no matter which Intex pool size you have.
This A-frame ladder has an extra-large platform and is equipped with 18 x 5-inch comfort tread steps.
The lockable roll guard barrier on the frame keeps little ones away from any potential dangers when they’re climbing up or down. To prevent this ladder from floating – all you have to do is fill its side rails with water. No need to use sand or bricks.
What Real World Users Say…
“I have found this Confer ladder useful and it offers great value for my money.”
“LOVE IT! My 5-year-old feels very safe walking up and down the stairs. We have an Intex pool and it’s a perfect fit. The platform at the top of the ladder makes it much safer to climb in.”
Vinyl Works SLA A-Frame Adjustable Above Ground Swimming Pool Ladder Entry System with Slide Lock Barrier and Handrails
- IN-POOL STEP LADDER: Step-in pool ladder with double handrails for easy, safe entry and exit into an above-ground pool. Designed and intended for use with a 48-56 inch above ground pool with up to...
- - GREAT STABILITY: 4 base treads and top platform tread for easy climbing and greater stability offering a 300-pound load capacity for one user at a time
- - SLIDE-LOCK DESIGN: Slide-Lock design removes access to the ladder when pool isn't in use to prevent unwanted entry & injury. Padlock required for the Slide-Lock ladder design (not included)
- - SAFETY SIGNAGE: Permanent safety signage includes no diving, no jumping, do not swim through or behind ladder, and secure ladder when not in use
The Vinyl Works A-Frame Ladder with Barrier is the perfect way to provide an easy and safe approach for you or your guests into and out of your pool.
The pool ladder supports up to 300 pounds so there’s no need to worry about it collapsing underweight, while its rigid frame makes sure that the ladder doesn’t rack when in use. With 4 base treads at each corner of the platform as well as two wide handrails on either side, climbing onto this little gem will be a breeze!
What sets this above-ground swimming pool ladder apart from others though is how they’ve designed their barrier slide lock – not only does it keep people off balance by preventing them from getting around or behind it (and potentially falling), but also keeps kids from any harm.
What Real World Users Say…
“I’m really enjoying this ladder, it is very durable and has the option to lock in place. I also like how easy it was to assemble!”
“I am so happy with this purchase. The instructions were a little hard to understand but other than that I would buy again in an instant!”
Aqua Select A-Frame Ladder with Removable Steps for Above Ground Pools
- REMOVABLE ABOVE GROUND POOL STEPS: Removable outside ladder prevents any unwanted pool entry and children from getting access to the pool when no adults are around watching.
- SAFETY BARRIER: Safety barrier fits behind inside ladder to prevent swimmer entrapment.
- MEASUREMENTS: Fits pools up to 48 inch wall height. Top platform dimensions are 15.9-in x 16.5-in.
- STYLE: Textured, non-slip step tread risers and rounded handrails for ease of entry/exit.
Step up to your pool easily with the Aqua Select A-Frame Ladder. This economical pool ladder has all the features of a more expensive ladder at a price that is easy on your wallet!
Designed for above ground pools up to 48 inches deep, this tubular steel staircase with blue stairs is lightweight and easy to set up. Safety features include removable outside steps so no one can enter uninvited, as well as an inside safety barrier behind the platform which prevents swimmer entrapment.
The large top step and rounded handrails add ease when entering or exiting your pool–this lets you have fun in the water without any worries about getting in and out again.
What Real World Users Say…
“This is a very nice ladder. Works great for me!”
“This is a good safe pool ladder. I like the feature of having a removable outside ladder. Instructions could be a bit better though.”
Blue Wave NE1222 A-Frame Flip Up Ladder for Above Ground Pools
- FLIP UP STEPS - To prevent unsupervised and unwanted entry when the pool is not in use, the outside part of the ladder can be flipped up and locked in place. Simply push down on the step portion to...
- NO DECK NEEDED - Ideal for any above-ground pool without a deck, this ladder features a platform for easier transitions into and out of the pool. Created to fit above-ground pools from 48-in to 54-in...
- ANTI-ENTRAPMENT BARRIER - A two-piece barrier prevents children from swimming behind the ladder or through the treads. The barrier system also reduces algae build-up by allowing water and chemicals to...
- MAINTENANCE-FREE RESIN - Crafted from rugged resin, this heavy-duty a-frame pool ladder is maintenance free. It will last for years without fading, rusting, or corroding.
The Blue Wave NE1222 A-Frame Flip Up Ladder is the perfect accessory for any swimming pool owner. This resin ladder is perfect for those who want to save money and still have the safety features you need. The durable construction ensures that this product will last a long time while giving it enough flexibility to withstand heavy loads (up to 250 lbs.) when needed.
It includes wide non-skid platform treads for secure footing, a childproof barrier under the ladders to prevent entrapment, and comes with a 3-year warranty.
What Real World Users Say…
“This ladder promotes safety because it is so wide, sturdy, and built well.”
“Overall you get what you pay for. There are a lot of pieces. My only mistake was not The thing I love most about this ladder is that it’s made of high-quality, durable materials. The safety features are excellent and they make me feel totally safe. Without a doubt, you know what to expect when buying this pool ladder from Blue Wave.”
Main Access Heavy-Duty Adjustable Above Ground Swimming Pool Smart Step and Ladder Entry System with Handrails
- ACCOMMODATES MOST POOLS: Designed for small to medium above ground swimming pools, the Smart Step System combines Main Access’ Smart Steps with its Smart Choice Entry Ladder for an heavy-duty pool...
- BUILT-TO-LAST: Made of high-quality, heavy-duty corrosion-proof material, the Smart Step System provides superior comfort, strength-to-weight performance, durability and safety.
- UNIQUE SAFETY FEATURES: Adjustable for 48 to 54 inch pools, the Smart Step Entry System features four 24 inch steps with a flow-through step design, no swim zone, and swing up and lift-and-lock safety...
- EASY ASSEMBLY & INSTALLATION: Includes everything you need to assemble and install. Maximize performance with Main Access Anchor Ladder Weights, LED Smart Lites and Pool Ladder Protective Liner (Sold...
The Main Access Heavy-Duty Adjustable Above Ground Swimming Pool Smart Step and Ladder is the perfect way to make your pool accessible for kids, adults, and seniors. The 4-step design allows you a comfortable transition into the water with 24 inches of space per step on both sides.
Thanks to its swing up/lift-and-lock feature that provides an extra safety measure when entering or exiting the pool area – everyone will have easy access at all times without worrying about their footing.
This heavy-duty ladder system can be easily connected to your pool deck by removing the outside body and mounting it onto a platform. This will then create an easy transition from your deck to the pool for more safety.
What Real World Users Say…
“Love it! Very sturdy pool ladder.”
“Great product! Some of the pieces are difficult to get together but once they’re fitted we were very happy. The steps and stairs came in two different packages a day apart so at first, we thought we were missing pieces since my order said delivered. The ladder portion showed up the next day.”
Frequently Asked Questions About Intex Pool Ladders
What is the weight limit on Intex pool ladders?
Depending on the type of pool ladder you’ve purchased, the weight limit should be indicated in the box of the product. Typically, ladders for Intex pools can support up to 300 pounds of weight.
How do you make an above ground pool ladder sturdy?
Well, the best way to do this is by getting a durable pool ladder in the first place. Metal and resin ladders are some of the most durable pool ladders that are available today.
How long do ladders for Intex pools last?
The price of pool ladders is a big factor in their durability, as the more expensive ones can last up to 4-5 seasons. However, if you are rough with your Intex pool ladder and it’s not an especially costly one then it might last less than that time span.