Last Updated on October 17, 2021
Adding a fountain is a stylish way to upgrade your swimming pool. It adds movement, ambiance, and a relaxing background sound to your outdoor space.
Another great thing about pool fountains is that they are easy, affordable, and you can do them on your own. And if you are looking for ways on how to do that, then here are some of the best DIY pool fountain ideas to help you out.
For those in hot areas, a fountain can also help cool your pool’s temperature. To top it all off, it’s a fun pool addition that your kids can play and splash with.
1. Pool Fountain for Inground Pool
If you have an inground pool with jets, here’s a fountain project you may want to try. With just PVC pipes, adapters, cleaners, and glue, you can create an easy pool fountain on your own. Just make sure to measure everything properly so you’d get the water effects you want. As your guide, here’s an instructional video on DIY Pool Fountain in or aboveground from Badass Physique.
2. DIY Fountain for Aboveground Pool
For those with aboveground pools, here’s how you can build a DIY fountain. This is an easy and affordable project that costs less than $20. All you’ll need are connectors, pipes, and a ball valve.
3. Pool Rock Waterfall
Looking for a more aesthetically pleasing fountain to add to your pool? Why not try a rock waterfall. This will create an interesting piece to your outdoor space while at the same time adding value to your property. To do that, here’s how to build a pool rock waterfall in four steps by DoItYourself.
4. Magic Pool Fountain
- Shake up your pool time routine day or night with this fun pool fountain and multicolor LED light; Compatible with 1.5-inch thread jet outlets in both inground and above-ground pools
- Provides calming water sounds, visual ambiance, and a colorful light display; Suitable for both in-ground and above-ground swimming pools for versatile convenience
- Powered by your pool jet, no batteries or electricity required; Installs in seconds, no tools required, and includes simple instructions; Compatible with all pools with 1.5-inch outlets; is NOT...
- Includes 1 multicolored red, green, and blue LED Magic bulb that changes color every 5 seconds; Bulb lasts about 2,000 hours so you can enjoy season after season
Looking for a much easier project that won’t require too much measuring and store visits? Well, you can just purchase the Magic Pool Fountain on Amazon instead. This fountain is easy to install, fun, and simply beautiful, especially at night with its LED lights. It runs on water and your pool jets, so you won’t need batteries or electricity to power it.
After purchase, you can follow this video on how to install the Magic Pool Fountain.
5. Homemade Fountainhead for In-ground Swimming Pool
Most DIY fountain projects involve pipes, which need to be set up horizontally in your pool. While they can create this beautiful water effect, the pipes themselves may not look that elegant. So if you are looking for a more low-key fountain that would stay out of the way when you go swimming, then here’s a project you may want to try.
With just $10 or less, you can create a simple water sprayer for your pool. All you will need are pipes, fitting, glue, slip-on cap, adapter, and some tools. If you’re interested, here are the complete instructions on how to do a simple pool fountain sprayer.
6. Aboveground Pool Waterfall
Aboveground pools can be difficult to maintain, especially without the right system and filter. But with a few tools you probably already have in your garage, some parts, and a little bit of creativity, you can have that clean and fun pool you’ve always wanted. To help you with that, just check out DIY Culture’s video on how to install an aboveground pool waterfall with PVC and Intex Sand Filter.
In the video, you’ll find a step-by-step process on how to build a much better system for your pool as well as a beautiful DIY waterfall that you can modify depending on your needs.
7. Aboveground Pool PVC Sprinkler DIY
Does your water get hot during summer days? You can install a pool sprinkler to help cool it down. And if you already have an Intex pump and filter, here’s an easy and cheap way on how to build a PVC sprinkler for aboveground swimming pools.
8. DIY Center Fountain for Inground and Aboveground Swimming Pools
- POOL WATER FOUNTAIN - Add a floating, decorative fountain to your swimming pool. Relax to the soothing sounds of the water while you float around your pool or lay on the deck.
- FLOATING POOL FOUNTAIN - Installs in minutes, no tools required assembly, looks great and will pump water through while you swim. Effectively dissipates heat from the pool water keeping your pool much...
- POOL WATER FEATURE - Complete with universal adapter kit. This water fountain adds decor and ambiance to your backyard. Includes weight and clear hose for in-ground and above ground pools. A beautiful...
- WORKS WITH ANY POOL - Perfect for in-ground and above-ground pools. Adjust the spray height from 7 ft to 16 ft. Make your pool atmosphere change within minutes of a simple set up.
If you prefer a fountain that will stay in the middle of your swimming pool rather than on the sides, then here’s the perfect option for you. Using a three-tier fountain and your existing pump, you can easily achieve that beautiful water sprinkler/fountain. And here’s a quick video by Jackie Makes to show you how.
9. Hose-Based DIY Pool Fountain
Looking for a fountain that you can connect to a hose rather than to the jets of your pool? Check out Dan Ribar’s hose-based DIY pool fountain. It’s easy to make, works perfectly, and costs very cheap. The water direction is also adjustable and since it uses your hose, you can position it anywhere around your pool area.
10. DIY Fountain for Inground Swimming Pool
Here’s How To with Doc to teach you how to cool your swimming pool with just a simple, cheap, and easy-to-make DIY fountain. It is a great alternative to using hoses or having huge pipes exposed to the surface of your pool. It’s more aesthetically pleasing and doesn’t get in the way when not in use.
So there you have it. We are hoping that these 10 fountain ideas can help you finally get started with your next swimming pool upgrade.